halbardier

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Oreb

Post by Oreb »

yeah
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Zhukov wrote:(Keep in mind that a fully armoured knight couldn't even get to his feet without assistance, let alone remount his horse.)
Horribly wrong.

Possibly true, if he was wearing some very heavy jousting armor, but one would have to be really, really daft to use such a thing on the battlefield.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

zookeeper wrote: Horribly wrong. Possibly true, if he was wearing some very heavy jousting armor.
In the times when jousting was popular there was often little difference between the armour worn on the battlefield and the arena.
Of course jousting armour was more adorned then was practical in battle but the basic designs were much the same.
In fact, many improvements in armour design originated from the jousting arena, for example: the angled breastplate which replaced the traditional flat one.
zookeeper wrote:but one would have to be really, really daft to use such a thing on the battlefield.
As we have both pointed out, there were daft aspects to the use of mounted knights in battle. For example they required a 'ground crew' of 3-5 men just to prepare them for battle.

However there were advantages to be had as well. A heavily armoured knight mounted on a equally heavily armoured destrier (massive, trained warhorse) was practially invulnerable to anyone not specially trained or equiped to deal with him. He was the equivalent of something like the modern-day Russian T-90 tank. :shock:

So, the heavy jousting armour you refer to was similar in many ways to that used in battle. (One notable exception was the helmets used). The disadvantages we have both indicated eventually led to knights being replaced by light cavalry wearing leather armour or field plate (a thinner, more manageable version of full plate). Another factor was the ridiculous cost required to maintain/replace/repair a knights full battle regalia.

But look, this thread is supposed to be about a proposal to change the Battle for Wesnoth Pikeman stats. We are getting way off topic (partly my fault, perhaps I shouldn't have posted that bit about pikemen).

Zookeeper, if you would like to debate this matter in a sperate thread in the Off-Topic area I will be happy to cooperate (seriously, I will). But for now, lets keep this thread relevent to its author's intention. Ok? :)
unsung

Post by unsung »

Oh for....

Knights DID NOT NEED HELP TO MOVE WITH THEIR AROMOR!
AHHHHH!

the "ground crew" was to help PUT THE ARMOR ON. Armor-as in full plate- could be as light as 25 pounds, which is the weight of a realativley small dog or fat cat.

you could run, jump, fight, and hop into the sadle with it on easily. it is only heavy when you are picking it up to don it.

and battlefield armor was NOT used in jousting, because jousting armor had to be thicker to prevent accidents and had to be impressive in apperance.

jousting armor was also to heavy for use in battle.

I hate that myth so much...... :evil:
And if they couldn't move in plate armor, why would they wear it into battle?
Answer: They wouldn't.
Ok, I'm done.
We can get back on topic now.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

EDIT: Official Recognition of Debate Defeat :evil:
Upon further (and a good deal more careful) research it would appear unsung, anyar and zookeeper are correct. It seems much of the content of my previous post is little more then popular myth. (However I stand by what I said in regard to halbardiers)

So ends my attempt to prevent an online shouting match on an irrelevant topic.

The last word is yours.

Now, what was this thread actually about...? :)
Last edited by Zhukov on November 15th, 2005, 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

Ganter wrote: Will do more.
Change this one. It's already changed some.
Attachments
champ.png
champ.png (2.48 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

unsung wrote:you could run, jump, fight, and hop into the sadle with it on easily. it is only heavy when you are picking it up to don it.
Not even then. The armor itself is only put on by a team because:
1.It is cumbersome to put on by ones self(buckles and things like that. It could be put on by one person though)
2.Knights were often nobles and people who would be honored/feared. It wouldn't be "proper" for them to have to do work and put it on themselves.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

har har, I thought this was about halberdiers...

any way, since halberdiers seem to have been used as a multipurpose unit, perhaps they should have an almost equal blade and pierce attack? I mean after all, all mounted units have a strong weakness to pierce, and a whole calvary regiment wouldn't be taken out right away by halberdiers.

So maybe 14-3 pierce and 16-3 blade?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Assasin wrote:any way, since halberdiers seem to have been used as a multipurpose unit, perhaps they should have an almost equal blade and pierce attack? I mean after all, all mounted units have a strong weakness to pierce, and a whole calvary regiment wouldn't be taken out right away by halberdiers.
There are regiments of statues of Jesus on the cross? :D I think it would be better with 2 hits for the pierce, and raise the power on it.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Ganter

Post by Ganter »

Zhukov, your history class was a brave move but I'm afraid that some parts of it is wrong. But I like your damage idea (12-4/19-2) very much!

EDIT: Oops! Sorry Zhukov. When I read page three I see that you have already apologised. As for the blue cloack champ, what should I change? The sword or more?
Making the world a better place since 1991.
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

Ganter wrote:As for the blue cloack champ, what should I change? The sword or more?
Whatever you want.
Ganter

Post by Ganter »

New avatar! Better?
Attachments
Ganter.png
Ganter.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I wonder if the cape can get wayfarer-ized.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Ganter

Post by Ganter »

you mean in front of the elv?
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:I wonder if the cape can get wayfarer-ized.

hmm....i don't see any reference to the elf in this post. Yes, it distinctly says cape.

but then again, I wouldn't put it beneath Cuyo Quiz to try and fool you into believing one thing when he means another.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.