Origin of the Barbarian Men

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nyr Oagorith

Origin of the Barbarian Men

Post by Nyr Oagorith »

id brought up this topic, because of a problem with the barbarians in the north of wesnoth who are common enemies of the orcs, if i recall correctly when haldrics people first came to wesnoth they already were fairly advanced, so i created this topic to see if we could have it make sense...

they could have been there before the wesnothians came, kind of like the dunlendings of lord of the rings...
I am the one you seek
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There aren't any barbarians in the north of Wesnoth. At least not yet. What are you referring to?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Nyr Oagorith

Post by Nyr Oagorith »

im refering to the reference made in the wesnoth geography seciton (it said they live in the wild steppe [check the son of the black eye 1 map]), as well as the barbarian units in the grahpics forum, i forget who they were made by though.....

....and i apologize for my spelling
I am the one you seek
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

The "all factions exist currently in the same timeset" mentality?. I mean, it's not like people have thought that before.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Nyr Oagorith

Post by Nyr Oagorith »

ack srry, i just had thought of this topic before i read the updated history...

...but in the geography section it said "There is no government of the Northlands. Various groups of orcs, dwarves, barbarian men and even elves populate the region." so i was mislead, to think the human contact in the northlands at the time were barbarian men, i suggest someone take that off then..
I am the one you seek
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Maybe it's just that normal men live there. But being more isolated, they would be more rough and tough survivalists and without any real government.

I.E. maybe, they are normal men like in the rest of Wesnoth wo went to live in the north for a variety of reasons (outlaws come to mind).
Nyr Oagorith

Post by Nyr Oagorith »

they also could be survivers from when the orcs drove the humans from the northlands during the end of Haldric I's reign but i think there needs to be something about how the barbarian men (the marauders) formed in the history...
I am the one you seek
scott

Post by scott »

He's talking about Cobretti's barbarians. They are Northerners in that the north is a collection of various wild races and factions.

However, much like the Aragwaith people are finding out, you can't define a faction before it is defined. There needs to be an instantiation of the faction somewhere before it can accrue any kind of identity.

The barbarians you are referring to are not the marauders, but at this point there's no reason not to make it that way. This is real old school stuff. Not 2003 old school, but more like mid 2004.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Anyone ever read the book "waiting for the babarians" ? This topic made me think of that.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:There aren't any barbarians in the north of Wesnoth. At least not yet. What are you referring to?
Actually it has always been my intention that there are barbarians north of the Great River. There were just no good units available for them.

Of course, the Aragwaithi do look a little sophisticated to be 'barbarians'.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If it's barbarians you want, it makes sense to use the Marauders. The art isn't as 'done' as it could be, but it fits the need quite well.

But, uh, why do we need barbarians at all? I don't really see the point of adding them if all they will do is sit north of the Great River and act as alternatives to using Orcs as enemies.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Maybe they're indigenous.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Disto

Post by Disto »

turin wrote:If it's barbarians you want, it makes sense to use the Marauders. The art isn't as 'done' as it could be, but it fits the need quite well.

But, uh, why do we need barbarians at all? I don't really see the point of adding them if all they will do is sit north of the Great River and act as alternatives to using Orcs as enemies.
Or they can act as allies and help you kill the orcs, or it can be three-way? I don't know, we can let the others have a nice argument.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

scott wrote:Maybe they're indigenous.
So... is anyone open for some south/north american native action?. The trees are already done, and since they didn't use much armour, their units could as well be "cheap bastards".
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
scott

Post by scott »

I thought of that. The seafaring colonizers come from the other continent to find a group of primitive humans already living here. I didn't want to go there since the discussion never turns out nice for the US.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.