Meet the hoburgs

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Casual User

Meet the hoburgs

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and in the spirit of 'cuter' factions, I present the hoburgs.

Background

The hoburgs are close cousins of the dwarves though they are physically smaller and less sturdy than them. I've included a drawing of one.

They are known to a certain extent for their metalwork, but less so than the dwarves. They are, however, particularly known for their inventivity and technological advance. They are actually the ones who invented the thundersticks, and their artificers and alchemists can make a wide variety of wonders possible. To the primitive people of Wesnoth, this has sufficed to make them feared. Ironically, while they are unable of conventional magic, they are known as great mages throughout Wesnoth...

Unlike most races of Wesnoth, they do not live at all in villages, but only in towns and cities, the smallest of which do not go beneath 4000 hoburgs.

They grow their food in underground gardens and mine most of their own metal, thus making them capable of being self reliant. Nonetheless, they like to and engage in active trade with most races in Wesnoth.

The organization of the towns varies wildly. All towns are led by a burgmeister and his burgrat, a mayor and his counsel. However, in some towns, they are all elected or nominated, in others they are born into office as nobility and in others it is a bit of both.

The hoburgs are reclusive. Their small size percludes them from extensive military deployment, so they tend to be defensive and diplomatic with all. They are traditional allies of the dwarves, which they help by sharing some of their technology with, are highly suspicious of elves and rarely let them enter their towns and are generally neutral towards men, drakes and orcs.

Units

All their trees start at lvl 0. Their names have hoburg before them, I've omitted it for shortness's sake. Most hoburg units are slow, 4 moves.

Code: Select all

spearman -> pikeman  -> sentinel
         -> swordman -> guard
This is the rank and file melee unit of the hoburgs and are meant to represent an urban militia of sorts. Armed only with their respective weapons and armored in breastplates, they are cheap and plentiful.

The pikeman line gains first strike (hoburgs spears are too short for first strike) and has a little more hp. The swordsman deals the same amount of damage, but has marksman for his sword and needs more xp to advance.

The pikeman line is supposed to be the normal military while the swordsman line is supposed to be more bodyguards for important members of the city and other less military duties (note that they are killers against elusivefeets).

They all have a 20% resistance to blade, pierce and impact.

musketman -> musketeer -> arquebusier
The generic ranged unit for the hoburgs, again cheap and plentiful. They have a dagger and their thundersticks and wear brastplates.

They are one-shot units (although, if someone would invent a multiple shot thunderstick, it's the hoburgs, so there could be a branch).

They have a 20% resistance to blade, pierce and impact.

footman -> warrior -> knight
                   -> captain
The more heavy infantry unit for the hoburgs, more expensive (but still lvl 0). They carry light maces and round steel shields and are armored in full plate.

They have only 3 moves, making them very slow, but they are relatively good fighters and have 40% resistance to blade, pierce and impact. The knight is easily the best hoburg fighter while the captain has leadership.

apprentice -> artificer  -> alchemist
           -> apothicary -> pharmacist
These are the 'mages' for the hoburgs. They have daggers and can throw bombs which are one-shot, powerful magical attacks. Note that they wear no armor and have no peculiar defenses.

The artificer line increases the power of their bombs. The apothicary line keeps the bomb, but doesn't develop it. The apothicary had cures though and the pharmacist has cures and regenerates.

They would also need a scout, but I can't think of a good one...

I've considered a thief -> rogue -> assassin line, but he couldn't be too fast (with their short legs, even a fast hoburg would only have 5 moves).

I've also considered a glider -> planer -> ? line, but it seems a bit silly.

So, if you can think of a good scout...

An image

They say a picture is worth a thousand words (by the way, I know it looks like a dwarf got lucky with a goblin).
Attachments
hoburg-spearman.gif
hoburg-spearman.gif (15.24 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I think the background is certainly interesting, although the units themselves seem to be very special.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

er, my previous post should say "not very special"

Specifically, we seem to have another group of foot soldiers.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

what we really need is another loyalist faction. not another dwarf faction.

if anyones going to make another dwarf faction, they will be Dark Dwarves, by me :P
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Why not just call them "Gnomes"? They seem to basically be WoW gnomes, with the exception of limited magical ability.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Rune

Post by Rune »

romnajin wrote:Why not just call them "Gnomes"? They seem to basically be WoW gnomes, with the exception of limited magical ability.
Yeah, I also thought Gnomes the minute I read it, though I associate them mainly with D&D and not WoW (which is where WoW got most of it's races and classes)

Anyway, I like the idea of having more small races, and the technology angle is very good. How about focusing on "high-tech" weapons? They could have superior guns (like double-barreled thundersticks or artillery) but suck at close combat. Superior guns could be simulated with the First Strike ability (i.e. they have greater range and can therefore shoot first).

Some ideas for high-tech units:

Mortar team: Ranged only, High-damage, low movement and hitpoints.

Steam-powered war machine: Very good defense values on grassland (60%-70%), but low in villages and castles (20%-40%). High HP. Decent melee attack. Can't move into mountains, forests, swamps, water. Perhaps gain a ranged attack at higher levels, if they should be allowed to level at all...
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Assasin wrote:what we really need is another loyalist faction. not another dwarf faction.

if anyones going to make another dwarf faction, they will be Dark Dwarves, by me :P
I have designs for another dwarf faction aswell :)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
scott

Post by scott »

- The idea of a dwarf racial variant is spectacular and just what is needed

- I don't like the name gnome because it makes me think of the cute and cuddly kind. I suspect being an American influences this because of our TV culture. For example, when you say "pony" I think "My Little Pony" even though they can be noble non-cute beasts of burden. Same thing for gnomes.

- As for the other details of the faction, I say go for it. I'm not willing to assist, so I have no place making criticisms.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Neoriceisgood wrote:
Assasin wrote:what we really need is another loyalist faction. not another dwarf faction.

I have designs for another dwarf faction aswell :)
You've got designs for every factions you haven't made so far though so it's nothing new :p
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Sorry for the meaningless post
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

Basically, they are a cross between loyalists and dwarves, BUT, they would actually be quite unique in that they are the only faction that would recruit only level 0 units (probably level 1 in age of heroes).

They are designed roughly on the 'horde' model, which is why I made them live exclusively in cities.

I didn't call them gnomes because hoburg has a german sonority, and I think it fits them.

Incidentally, making them too high-tech would not be good. With sufficiently advanced weaponry, even midget would conquer the world. But some more advanced units could appear (such as a fork for the shooter into a two-shot one).
Scott wrote:- As for the other details of the faction, I say go for it. I'm not willing to assist, so I have no place making criticisms.
Thanks for a more supportive quote! I can do the coding, but I really need an art guy. You've seen the extent of my artistic skills...
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Aren't these guys stolen from Dominions by Illwinter Game Design? Or are they under some sort of open license?
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
koryanshea

Post by koryanshea »

Rune wrote:Yeah, I also thought Gnomes the minute I read it, though I associate them mainly with D&D and not WoW (which is where WoW got most of it's races and classes)
I first thought Svirfnebli :) which are underground gnomes. that can make sense because of the undergroud gardens, mining and alliance with the dwarves, but their communication with other races doesn't fit in that.

i think svirfnebli are very interesting because of their "communication with stones" :) they can summon stone golems and i think that a high level mage with that ability could be reeeeally cool :)

an idea for a scout... he could sense the vibrations of the stone and earth and thus see even more than he can move :) but then he shouldn't be very fast. i don't know what he could ride, tho :| do they have to ride something?

oh yeah... i'm not sure about the picture, it seems a bit TOO dwarfy... maybe they shouldn't have beards at all :?
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

IIRC Hoburgs are the "Not Really Hobbits, mr. Tolkien state holder" from
Illwinter games (Dominions I & II and maybe older ones)
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

1. I've played a first battle with the hoburgs, between the hoburgs and the orcs (hoburgs got creamed though :( ). It's really weird playing with a faction of level 0's, I can't even really tell if they're overpowered or underpowered.

2. I've gotten lucky, I found some old images for renaissance units, and when scaled down to 80% of their size, they look quite alright. I don't have the time to do any more work on them for quite awhile. I will put them up on the campaign server as soon as I'm satisfied with them, though.

3. I didn't know the name hoburg was already taken. I'll have to check. Hansern might be a good alternative name for them.

Still, the hoburgs you talked about seemed only alternative names for hobbits, my guys are really nothing like that.