Portraits for Northern Rebirth

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Thrawn wrote:@Taurus/anyone with good taste: is this a good color scheme for the main person. IMO it is, but it may appear to "elvish" or something to others.
Re: too "elvish", I would say yes. My first thought on seeing it before reading the text was, "ah, it's an elf."
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The hair is awfully yellow, and the orange is weird. If that's supposed to be gold decorations, then the colour is all wrong.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hi Thrawn

I think the cloak and his shirt are fine. What I am not so sure about are the orange spots on his armor and his sword. Are they some sort of embroidery? Remember, he is just some simple peasant who has managed to scrounge up some weapons and armor from a bunch of dead orcs so steal bolts would be more in line.

I think what gives it the elvish appearance more then anything else is the blond hair. I can't speek for others, but speaking for myself, I tend to associate blond hair and elves in the back of my mind. Perpahs if it was more of a dirty blond/brown it would be better.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Taurus wrote:Hi Thrawn

I think the cloak and his shirt are fine. What I am not so sure about are the orange spots on his armor and his sword. Are they some sort of embroidery? Remember, he is just some simple peasant who has managed to scrounge up some weapons and armor from a bunch of dead orcs so steal bolts would be more in line.

I think what gives it the elvish appearance more then anything else is the blond hair. I can't speek for others, but speaking for myself, I tend to associate blond hair and elves in the back of my mind. Perpahs if it was more of a dirty blond/brown it would be better.
1. supposed to be brass, fitting in with armour scrounged off not so rich enemies. If all the armour was greyish, it would be very boring.

2.I can make the hair browner, but IMAO(in my aryian opinion) blond hair=heroic. Also it prevents the picture from being all different shades of brown. People should be able to tell an elf from a human, especially when he isn't in all green
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Karo

Post by Karo »

Thrawn wrote:1. supposed to be brass, fitting in with armour scrounged off not so rich enemies. If all the armour was greyish, it would be very boring.

2.I can make the hair browner, but IMAO(in my aryian opinion) blond hair=heroic. Also it prevents the picture from being all different shades of brown. People should be able to tell an elf from a human, especially when he isn't in all green
1. Brass is not orange, but more of a yellow-brown color. Also, the monochrome coloring does not give the impression of the accents being metallic.

2. That yellow is just unnatural. The only way a person could attain that hue is to bleach very dark hair. Normal blond hair is much less saturated and more brown, ranging from platinum to a sandy color (think of wet sand as the border between blond and brown). Also, you could consider ditching the blond hair for brown hair- less heroic, more rugged.

In conclusion: reality is brown.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Karo wrote:
Thrawn wrote:1. supposed to be brass, fitting in with armour scrounged off not so rich enemies. If all the armour was greyish, it would be very boring.

1. Brass is not orange, but more of a yellow-brown color. Also, the monochrome coloring does not give the impression of the accents being metallic.
The coloring on this picture is still a work in proress so go easy. If the accents are brass then I think it's ok. I just wanted to conform that they wern't gold or anything.
2. That yellow is just unnatural. The only way a person could attain that hue is to bleach very dark hair. Normal blond hair is much less saturated and more brown, ranging from platinum to a sandy color (think of wet sand as the border between blond and brown). Also, you could consider ditching the blond hair for brown hair- less heroic, more rugged.

I am not so concerned about reality, as this is a fantasy game. If the hair was purpple but looked good I would be all for it. I aggree that blond looks heroic, but perhaps it should be a shade darker. Here is the current Tallin I have - I think his hair color is about right.
Attachments
Tallin copy.jpg
Tallin copy.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 3983 times

Karo

Post by Karo »

I know it's a work in progress, and I know I sounded really harsh, even if I didn't mean to be that acerbic.

I assume the reason for the new portraits is to have a complete set in the same style for the key characters?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

The reason for the new portraits is that my old ones are not Wesnoth original. I have permission from the artist to use them and all, but they were still created for other projects. They worked great for getting the campaign going, but if this campaign ever goes mainline, they will have to go. Anyhow, not that I am concerned about the mainline aspect of it so much, but I think all of you aggree on the importance of having original artwork.

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Taurus wrote:The reason for the new portraits is that my old ones are not Wesnoth original. I have permission from the artist to use them and all, but they were still created for other projects. They worked great for getting the campaign going, but if this campaign ever goes mainline, they will have to go. Anyhow, not that I am concerned about the mainline aspect of it so much, but I think all of you agree on the importance of having original artwork.
would you mind if I have to end up cell shading, rather than painting it? ( unless Jet starts doing them again, in which case it's a moot point
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thrawn wrote: would you mind if I have to end up cell shading, rather than painting it? ( unless Jet starts doing them again, in which case it's a moot point
Cell shading, you mean like the original coloring job Battlesquid did on Hamel? I would prefer to have all the portratis done in the same style, but since you are going to be the one doing the actual work, I'll leave it up to you. My long term goal however would be to have all the portraits painted...

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I started doing Tallin, but then i realized it was going to be a pain to try to match the style.
Here's as far as i got, for what it's worth.
Attachments
tallin.png
tallin.png (72.45 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Taurus wrote:
Karo wrote: 2. That yellow is just unnatural. The only way a person could attain that hue is to bleach very dark hair. Normal blond hair is much less saturated and more brown, ranging from platinum to a sandy color (think of wet sand as the border between blond and brown). Also, you could consider ditching the blond hair for brown hair- less heroic, more rugged.

I am not so concerned about reality, as this is a fantasy game. If the hair was purpple but looked good I would be all for it. I aggree that blond looks heroic, but perhaps it should be a shade darker. Here is the current Tallin I have - I think his hair color is about right.
I'm only posting this to illustrate a point (e.g. I do intend to color Xander's picture). Karo and Sgt. Groovy (and indirectly, Eleazar) are absolutely right - the person who originally made that picture needs to learn a thing or two about human hair colors. That yellow is ... absurd. :annoyed:

This is what a more correct "blonde" would look like:
Attachments
tallin_copy_181.png
tallin_copy_181.png (110.06 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Eleazar wrote:I started doing Tallin, but then i realized it was going to be a pain to try to match the style.
Here's as far as i got, for what it's worth.
Thanks Eleazar :-) It is better then what I have now in any case (the uncolored black and white), so I'll use it until Jetryl is finished.

vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

I have changed Sisal a bit, because there was this issue with the short arm and some others disliked the opening in her trousers, which got down to the crotch. :)

I also changed a bit with her breasts, because they seemed differnt cupsizes before, which annoiyed me.

How do you find it?

EDIT: I have made the handle of the sword a bit longer, because it should be a twohanded-broadsword. uploaded the new version.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

vonHalenbach wrote:I have changed Sisal a bit, because there was this issue with the short arm and some others disliked the opening in her trousers, which got down to the crotch. :)

I also changed a bit with her breasts, because they seemed differnt cupsizes before, which annoiyed me.

How do you find it?

EDIT: I have made the handle of the sword a bit longer, because it should be a twohanded-broadsword. uploaded the new version.
Thanks for the help, but I don't think we'll be using that.