Portraits for Northern Rebirth

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ronin Teturo

Post by Ronin Teturo »

West wrote:
Darn Penguin wrote:The face makes him look like a hippie to me.
Actually, I think he has more of a southern boogie, Lynyrd Skynyrd type look :)
I'm coloring right now, and desperately resisting the urge to put a Skynyrd roadie shirt on him. :lol:
Hey Wesnoth content creators! Need a colorist for your artwork? Click Here!
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

Ronin Teturo wrote:
West wrote: Actually, I think he has more of a southern boogie, Lynyrd Skynyrd type look :)
I'm coloring right now, and desperately resisting the urge to put a Skynyrd roadie shirt on him. :lol:
Heh, I myself wanted to say he looked like the lost member of Skynyrd, but resisted the temptation.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.
Ronin Teturo

Post by Ronin Teturo »

Okay, here you go. This is my first draft and I'm a little worried about what you guys might think, but I'm ready it. Here goes...

Couple notes:

- I was going to add eyes, but I wasn't sure if the black eyes were by design or not. I'll leave that decision to the original artist.

- I usually remove a lot of the 'hashing' marks from sketches in the final passes, but I liked how a surprising majority of them added just the right 'gritty and battered' touch when properly accentuated, something I was wanting to do with this anyway

- The colors are arbitrary and easily changed if desired
Attachments
stalrag2_color01.png
stalrag2_color01.png (159.57 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Some of the shiny parts are a bit too bright, giving it almost a "black light disco" look. I would desaturate the hair and moustache somewhat. Also, the axe holding arm has a weird milky hue to it. I think it should be darker.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

As a general suggestion - I'd take on some of Xander86's already-inked sketches in this thread. Judging from this, you could probably do a decent job on those.

I was already working on coloring that dwarf, before you started, and I'm probably going to carry through to a finished version.
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

I'm working on something for Rakshas, but those who are familiar with the quality of my work will know ignore this statement and pretend there is no portrait in the works. If I ever get his arms to look right, I'll post it up here for the halibut. (Say that sentence out loud. You'll get it.)
Ronin Teturo

Post by Ronin Teturo »

For Sgt. Groovy... a darker version. Apologies, my work monitor has NO kind of contrats or brightness control, so it's hard to make accurate corrections here. What you're seeing is different from what I'm seeing.

Jetryl - I grabbed those sketches last night to work on today. I'm doing the wizard with the funky goggles right now... still not sure what color schemes I should be adhering to, so I'm just doing what feels right.
Attachments
A darker Stalrag
A darker Stalrag
stalrag2_color2.png (155.29 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Much better now, the only thing would be the overly white fur trim on the trousers. Even white fur is usually at least somewhat yellowish, and I don't think the ulfserkers have very hight standards of cleaniness anyway.

ETA: I just noticed something: where are his nipples? :?
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Ronin Teturo

Post by Ronin Teturo »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Much better now, the only thing would be the overly white fur trim on the trousers. Even white fur is usually at least somewhat yellowish, and I don't think the ulfserkers have very hight standards of cleaniness anyway.

ETA: I just noticed something: where are his nipples? :?
Attachments
stalrag2_color3.png
stalrag2_color3.png (154.33 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:ETA: I just noticed something: where are his nipples? :?
Surprisingly, not lost in actual combat. You see, he was sharpening is axe against a rapidly-spinning grindstone, and thought he saw a dent in the blade, so he leaned down real close and...

You get the picture.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Who defined that dwarves do have them? They could just as well differ a bit more from humans...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

torangan wrote:Who defined that dwarves do have them? They could just as well differ a bit more from humans...
Very much agreed. Even if dwarves, humans and elves would be just slightly different branches of the same evolutionary tree, it doesn't mean they couldn't have differences like this.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:
torangan wrote:Who defined that dwarves do have them? They could just as well differ a bit more from humans...
Very much agreed. Even if dwarves, humans and elves would be just slightly different branches of the same evolutionary tree, it doesn't mean they couldn't have differences like this.
Except every single mammal has nipples. Having dwarves not have them wouldn't just be making them more non-human, it would make them not even mammalian. That's NOT a good thing.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ronin Teturo

Post by Ronin Teturo »

I haven't seen enough 'evidence' to discount dawrves as non-mammal variants.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ronin Teturo wrote:I haven't seen enough 'evidence' to discount dawrves as non-mammal variants.
Uh... well, they're obviously extremely similar in body structure to humans, and it is extraordinarily unlikely that an organism would evolve to be so similar to humans while being only distantly related to it. Hopefully you're not going to deny that humans are mammals, so I think we have to conclude that dwarves (and orcs and elves) are mammals as well.

Of course, this is assuming that Wesnoth functions according to the same laws of genetics that our own world does. It may well be that dwarves and humans are completely unrelated, except for both being creations of the great god Vorpal 23,860 years ago. :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm