Portraits for Northern Rebirth

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ronin Teturo

Post by Ronin Teturo »

You made the same point I was getting at. You took the long way around, but I'm glad we're on the same page.
Hey Wesnoth content creators! Need a colorist for your artwork? Click Here!
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

turin wrote:It may well be that dwarves and humans are completely unrelated, except for both being creations of the great god Vorpal 23,860 years ago. :?
Ah yes, the Holy Assembly of Our Lady of Snicker-Snack, a quickly growing sect rivaled only by the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.
Vushe

Post by Vushe »

I do believe platypuses do not have nipples/teats, and they are considered a mammal.
TL

Post by TL »

Are you suggesting dwarves hatch from eggs? That's just so funny it has to be true.
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

TL wrote:Are you suggesting dwarves hatch from eggs? That's just so funny it has to be true.
Don't forget the poison barbs on their heels. The only reasons you never see those in use are because dwarves consider poison dishonorable and are often wearing shoes in combat situations anyway.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.
Wen Yang

Post by Wen Yang »

TL wrote:Are you suggesting dwarves hatch from eggs? That's just so funny it has to be true.
What I often hear is that ALL dwarves are bearded, and that it's nearly impossible for non-dwarves to determine one gender from the other if they're clothed. :wink:
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

"So who's laying these eggs?"

"I'm not sure. It must be something we haven't seen yet."
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

...want to keep this on-topic please? This isn't the OT section.
I'm sure Taurus would appreciate it.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thrawn wrote:...want to keep this on-topic please? This isn't the OT section.
I'm sure Taurus would appreciate it.
Thank you Thrawn, although it has been rather amusing. But yes, it seems to be comming along good. Thank you once again Jetryl, and Ronin Teturo for the coloring. Carry on gents...
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Ronin Teturo

Post by Ronin Teturo »

Marcus... re-sized for attachment contraints. Feel free to make suggestions on this one for change, I only find this so-so.

The folds in the robe were non-sensical, hence the glossed over shading job on it. Fire away.
Attachments
marcus_168_color01.png
marcus_168_color01.png (294.02 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Looks good. The bubble around his hand looks kind of odd, though; why is the magic all different colored?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The problem with that is that he looks like a damn ugly alien monster. :? Disgusting, even. Mostly a problem with the original lineart though, but partly due to the skin colouring as well.
Ronin Teturo

Post by Ronin Teturo »

The idea was to make him look like a wizened wizard. But I adjusted him to make him look more 'human'.
Attachments
marcus_168_color02.png
marcus_168_color02.png (296.07 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

To me the lighting looks too mellow to support the intense concentration of the figure. It's also inconsistent in places (for example the back and the shoulder away from the light are very dark, but the back of the head isn't). There are also lots of topography to the face and clothes, wrinkles, creases and folds, but your lighting does next to nothing to bring them out.

You need to be more bold with the shadows, don't be afraid of the dark.

I would suggest that you first do the highlights the magic ball creates in one layer, so that everywhere the light doesn't reach is completely dark. Then turn this layer off and do ambient lighting on another layer. When that's ready combine the layers with a good balance (this is a handy approach whenever you're working with several light sources).

I have also reservations about the colours of the magic ball, which are toned very earthly and mundane, not otherworldy as magic is.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
General Mac

Post by General Mac »

I'm not that much of an artist but he looks like he is decomposing. He doesn't have the human look of most of the other characters.

(Correct me if I'm wrong) Also don't forget for this campaign they are trying to keep the colouring similar and this portrait's colouring is very different from the other characters.
Go Canucks Go!