C++ Books

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Skizac

C++ Books

Post by Skizac »

Can anyone recommend some good, up-to-date C++ books which cover the Wesnothian coding style? The C++ books that I have are from my college days (I'm 27 now), and I think they're a bit out of date:

C++ How To Program, 2nd edition (Deitel & Deitel)
The C++ Programming Language, 3rd edition (Bjarne Stroustrup)

I started coding some of the simpler feature requests last night, and I was suprised at how clueless I was. I must be rustier than I thought.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: C++ Books

Post by Dave »

Skizac wrote:The C++ Programming Language, 3rd edition (Bjarne Stroustrup)
This is the best C++ book around if you can understand it. It's hard to get into though, and many people need a gentler text.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
torangan
Retired Developer

Re: C++ Books

Post by torangan »

Skizac wrote:The C++ Programming Language, 3rd edition (Bjarne Stroustrup)
I never liked that one at all. While it does contain the answers to most questions it's badly organized. A reference book should be easily accessible. A book I can recommend is: "C++ - The Complete Reference" by Herbert Schildt. This one should allow you to lookup the features used in Wesnoth (which are not really advanced btw) without searching for a long time.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Scys

Post by Scys »

I learnt C++ from Stanley Lippman's C++ Primer (2nd edition). I found it really useful but haven't liked any of the later editions.
I have this one, and if I was starting out now this is the one I would use: "Object Oriented Programming in C++" N. Josuttis
Probably the most important books are the ones that you read after you have learned the basics. Effective C++/More Effective C++ by Scott Meyers should definitely be numbers 2 and 3 on your reading list.

If you're working on any large C++ project (like Wesnoth) then plough through "Large Scale C++ Software Design" by John Lakos for the secrets that you can't get anywhere else.
As you get more advanced, "Modern C++ Design" by Andrei Alexandrescu will make you look at C++ in a completely new way. Follow this one with "C++ Template Metaprogramming" by David Abrahams. These two books are real brain-twisters, although a twistable brain is a lot more important than being the hottest C++ coder on the block.

There are a lot of great C++ books out there. Read some reviews to find the one that's right for you.

Apart from the Josuttis book, I've read all the above cover to cover. Once you've got back into C++ you won't go wrong with anything by Stroustrup, Scott Meyers, Sutter, Moo, Coplein or Alexandrescu.
hunterkillr

Post by hunterkillr »

Thinking in C++ 2nd Ed. by Bruce Eckel seems to be the best. And it's also free. Download it here:

http://www.bruceeckel.com/

Click on the books link for the download, and if you have a slow connection, there are many mirrors to choose from.

Cannot we live in peace?
- GLA Worker
- C&C: Generals
P.S: Sorry, if I don't reply much. No personal net access.