Grand Knight/Heavy Knight proposal

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Huh. I'd never seen that design of helmet before. I don't think the visor works very well, I thought it was his face, but was confused as to why it looked so odd. It's just that a yellow cross looks a lot like a face when the image is so small, perhaps a black cross for the visor might be easier to differentiate on such a small image.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Good image, indeed. But I had something quite different in mind, which makes me ask:

May I continue trying to develop my image, or should I point to other units and make some undone graphics?
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

You are free to develop the image, a tried a scale horse barding too but it looked bad so I changed it for a cloth barding. IF you can imporve my image or got a better image we'll use yours :-)
But you should know that for a new unit to be included it should have all images done...
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

I agree that the helmet protuberances don't look quite right (that model is a bit fantastic, isn't it?). Almost bunny-like actually.

Perhaps the original could have its armor be made more metallic looking and we can see how that compares? That would make better sense for the Heavy Knight (to have an armored horse), no?
The Eponymous Archon
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Eponymous-Archon wrote: Perhaps the original could have its armor be made more metallic looking and we can see how that compares? That would make better sense for the Heavy Knight (to have an armored horse), no?
Agreed. Perhaps fmunoz's latest knight image could replace the Paladin, as it does look fantastic, but not very heavy!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

telex4 wrote:
Eponymous-Archon wrote: Perhaps the original could have its armor be made more metallic looking and we can see how that compares? That would make better sense for the Heavy Knight (to have an armored horse), no?
Agreed. Perhaps fmunoz's latest knight image could replace the Paladin, as it does look fantastic, but not very heavy!
I don't see why this is not heavy. You can't get much heavier, because the horse would get weighed down by all the armor, i think.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eponymous-Archon

turin wrote:
telex4 wrote: Agreed. Perhaps fmunoz's latest knight image could replace the Paladin, as it does look fantastic, but not very heavy!
I don't see why this is not heavy. You can't get much heavier, because the horse would get weighed down by all the armor, i think.
Not quite sure I understand your comment. Should the horse not be armored?
The Eponymous Archon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

My point is that a horse cannot become all that heavily armored. Also, none of the other horses have any armor. The cloth does a lot to distinguish it, and i do not think that it could be made to look more armored without looking less impressive.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I think the helmet looks great exceot the tips of the horns because its not very obvious what they are. Maybe if they were taller you'd have more pixels to work with to make 'em look better. As for the horse's armor, can it at least have an armored faceplate?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

fmunoz wrote:IMHO it should use warhammer and lance
If the warhammer is impact, this will also be very effective against undead, probably making paladins much less disirable.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:
fmunoz wrote:IMHO it should use warhammer and lance
If the warhammer is impact, this will also be very effective against undead, probably making paladins much less disirable.
Consider that undead foot units have -10% resistance against impact, with skeletons having -20% resistance, while all undead units have -100% resistance against the Paladin's holy attack.

Still, it is a good point.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

turin wrote:My point is that a horse cannot become all that heavily armored. Also, none of the other horses have any armor. The cloth does a lot to distinguish it, and i do not think that it could be made to look more armored without looking less impressive.
But horses were frequently armoured, at least with a thin sheet of mail and often with some plating. It seems in the spirit of a knight that is slow and extremely tough that the horse would have some armour.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

my point is the horse already looks impressive, and i do not think adding metal armor will make it look better.

it feels like i have said this several times...maybe i do not get my point across clearly enough.
The World of Orbivm
Eponymous-Archon

telex4 wrote:But horses were frequently armoured, at least with a thin sheet of mail and often with some plating. It seems in the spirit of a knight that is slow and extremely tough that the horse would have some armour.
Indeed, and this is a nice way to distinguish this unit, especially if it does become/remain the "Heavy Knight."
The Eponymous Archon
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

fnmoz helmet reminds me of the Teutonic knights founds in some cartoons. I think the heavy knight should not have a lance as primary weapon (I mean for the drawing of the unit) to make it more disinct from the Paladin (or the Paladin could be the only wielding sword). A mace, warhammer or flail would look great. Also some more color contrast, like a red cape, or a colorfull shield.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!