Grand Knight/Heavy Knight proposal

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

As fmunoz said, I continued to work with my version of the unit. I think it is now much more closer to what I have in mind. However, it is still in development, so it will probably change.

Here it is.

Problems/modifications:

- I put a warhammer as main weapon, but since it is still under discussion anybody can suggest another weapon/stance.

- The armor of the horse (the "fur" :D ) is still there. I'll try fewer, big plates rather than many, small plates like it is now. I hope it will look well.

- Changed the color of the horse, to give more contrast with the metallic parts.

- The shadow is currently opaque, since I'm still learning GIMP and I don't know how to do it translucent. If anybody knows how to do it, please tell.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

looking better, these are the main problems i see:

1. the problem with the 'fur' :D is that it wraps too tightly around the legs. it would look better if it came out a bit like on fmunoz's image (I know his had a cloth, but it looks better like that)

2. the helmet is too big. most mounted unit's body and head are smaller than on a normal unit. I advise you do the same.

3. you say there is a warhammer, but i do not see it. where it is? and why is there a devil tail on the horse?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

it is looking nicer. I like the warhammer but it is hidden in the tail... so lower the horse tail and raise a bit the arm to separate them. Also it ill be easier then to replace the weapon if needed. I think the comment about making the body and head smaller make sense...to fit the horse and rider in the picture we have assume they are seen from further away than usual human size unit.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

ok, i see the warhammer, but it looks like a crowbar...am i missing something?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Ok. A huge post.

I rearranged the tail of the horse, the size of the head, and tried a variation over the armor and the weapon. I tried also to merge with fmunoz design of the horse. Here are the images.

Also, I have some ideas about the attack and defense images of the lich. I'll work on them for a few days, then post here too.

Ah, the question about alpha transparency is still there. Fmunoz, I summon you to come! :D Please answer my question!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

cobretti wrote: - The shadow is currently opaque, since I'm still learning GIMP and I don't know how to do it translucent. If anybody knows how to do it, please tell.
Select the color that you want to make transparent. (Make it the selection area)

Use the eraser tool, and go in to the properties, make 'opacity' the level of opacity you want, and selecting a large brush, erase the whole selected area.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

about those images you posted, i like the second one, version 4B. it has armor, it has a warhammer, but it looks cool. it would make a good heavy knight.
now i guess we can start working on stats.
The World of Orbivm
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

I like the last one (1b): the horse looks armored as does the rider. I would raise the weapon a bit and show the horse's tail. Right now, I tend to think that the weapon is the tail, but eventually see that it isn't.

(Thanks, Dave, for the tip on Gimp. I was wondering about opacity myself.)
The Eponymous Archon
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

It's hard to pick which of the 4 I like best, but I'd have to go with #4b. Fmunoz is right, yellow is a color we don't see much in units, and compared to fmunoz's original version, this horse looks more armored. I especially like how you can see the horse's eyes and face better with the all yellow version, as opposed to the metal faceplate. You've made some really good improvments, merging the two ideas, great job!

P.S. Now that you've moved the horse's tale away from the warhammer, I think the v1 warhammer looks more detailed and better than the all black one you use in the other 3 models. What if you used that warhammer with the all yellow horse?
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I also like the version 4b using the wahammer of version 1b. The arm holding the weapon shuld be flexed at the level of elbow to raise the warhammer more (almot vertical) and look more natural. The rest is great.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

v4b is my favorite too. But I think the horses' armor and the rider's armor should match colors.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Ok. I will switch to the original warhammer, move the arm holding it and restore the tail of the horse.

That will mean just two versions, 4b and 1b. As soon as one is selected as "the candidate", I'll start with offensive and defensive stances.

But I'll be busy for two days, with no time to work on it, so you will have to wait until wednesday. :(
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Wow. Nice work, cobretti. The horse's barding on v4b is impressive, and the knight looks downright intimidating. I do prefer the hammer on v1 though, and could the plume be just one or two pixels puffier?

Also, I just thought I might throw out the synonym "Cavalier" for a knight. Or even the French "Chevalier". While it doesn't seem to suit the juggernaut-style knight cobretti is presently working on, it would suit fmunoz's Grand Knight.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Cavalier is the planed name for the level 3 cavelry unit (I think).
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Back again. I've been working with the lich, too, so I will post all the images here.

I keep two versions of the heavy knight, just if needed. Well, really three, but the third, with the armor of the knight in yellow, looks really bad.

The images for the lich may look too exagerated, compared to those of the ancient lich, but I hope they look properly in action. Please test, and tell.