Multiple leaders?

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deserter
Art Contributor

Multiple leaders?

Post by deserter »

It seems that there is no way to have multiple leaders... Right?

I tried to create a unit with "canrecruit=1" in a scenario file (MP) but it didn't work. I think that it would be fun to have multiple leaders in some maps. (Meaning mostly larger MP maps in this case...)

Is there any particular reason for not having more than one leader? And if not, then I'm requesting this kind of feature, thank you. :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If you can somehow guarantee that they only have access to one keep (or are ok with them only being able to recruit from one keep), you can make several leader units share a single keep. But it's currently impossible to have several leaders in separate keeps (and able to recruit) at the same time.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

zookeeper wrote:If you can somehow guarantee that they only have access to one keep (or are ok with them only being able to recruit from one keep), you can make several leader units share a single keep. But it's currently impossible to have several leaders in separate keeps (and able to recruit) at the same time.
You were fast weren't you?
Too bad. :( What I want is exactly to have several leaders in separate keeps (and able to recruit) at the same time...
toms

Post by toms »

Easy...or asm I wrong? :o

Code: Select all

[side]
type=(leader´s type)
description=first leader guy
side=1
controller=human
canrecruit=1
recruit=(something)
gold=100
team_name=good
 [unit]
 x,y=(the second keep coordinates)
 canrecruit=1
 description=second leader guy
 [/unit]

(and more if you want)
[/side]

(you could also put the unit tags outside but then you must write his side in)
I hope I understood it right :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

toms wrote:Easy...or asm I wrong? :o
Yes, you're wrong. :wink:

Giving multiple units canrecruit=1 does, for example, give them the small crown symbols, but still only one of them will be able to actually recruit. This holds true for 1.0.2 as well as 1.1, and I'm not aware of any changes to this in SVN, either.

Anyway, if you really, really want to do something like this, you could try to come up with some more tricky behaviour, since all you need to do is to make sure the two leaders will not be standing on keeps (from which they can recruit) at the same time. It wouldn't be pretty, but doable.

Some examples:
  • When a leader moves onto a keep (and if the other leader is also standing on a keep), change the location of the other keep by one. So only one can stand on a keep at a time.
  • Just make it so that the ability to recruit is enabled for a leader when he steps on a keep. The player would need to move the leaders on and off the keep just to switch the recruiter, but it would be the simplest to do.
  • Create a fake unit with the name "change recruiter" which costs 0 gold to recruit. When a leader recruits that, the ability to recruit is transferred to the other leader.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Pity you can't trigger an event when player chooses an particular unit... Or can you?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

deserter wrote:Pity you can't trigger an event when player chooses an particular unit... Or can you?
Nope.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Ok, this idea seems to be impossible. Well, at least not very easily possible and I wouldn't want the keeps to move by themselves or anything so... I just fail to se any sensible solution.

If I were to suggest the support for multiple leaders to be implemented, it wouldn't go through, would it? Do you (anyone/everyone, not just zookeeper) think that would be a good idea?

I think it would be fun.
It would be a bit like having MP duel with a total of 4 teams meaning 2 teams for each player which would makes two leaders, but they would have to move in a separate turns, just like the units of the two teams that a player controlled. :(
Obviously multiple leaders in a same actual side would be much more preferable to overcome some problems.

EDIT: I redirected the discussion of the idea to appropriate forum:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 197#133197
JW

Post by JW »

zookeeper wrote:[*] Create a fake unit with the name "change recruiter" which costs 0 gold to recruit. When a leader recruits that, the ability to recruit is transferred to the other leader.[/list]
If you could do this then you could also, I'm sure, make it so when the unit is recruited he has a death event, therefore negating his existence.

I would imagine this would be your best chance.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

JW wrote:
zookeeper wrote:[*] Create a fake unit with the name "change recruiter" which costs 0 gold to recruit. When a leader recruits that, the ability to recruit is transferred to the other leader.[/list]
If you could do this then you could also, I'm sure, make it so when the unit is recruited he has a death event, therefore negating his existence.
Yeah, obviously I meant that the unit self-terminates instantly when it's recruited, so the only effect it would have would be the changing of the recruiter.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

zookeeper wrote:
JW wrote: If you could do this then you could also, I'm sure, make it so when the unit is recruited he has a death event, therefore negating his existence.
Yeah, obviously I meant that the unit self-terminates instantly when it's recruited, so the only effect it would have would be the changing of the recruiter.
I would agree, if it worked. :) I would imagine the following to be quite possible:
There's two leaders, in a separate keeps.
One recruits "change recruiter"-unit to pass the ability to recruit to other leader, which recruits proper units and then moves on.
The other leader stays where he is.
Now the one who stayed in his keep, discovers that he needs to recruit proper units, but he can't.
That's because he can't recruit "change recruiter"-unit! The leader that moved will have to change the recruiter, but he has already used all his moves.

It's just AN example. I expect that there's more still...

Thanks for the help anyway. :)
toms

Post by toms »

I think that canrecruit=1 doesn´t make the unit able to recruit is a bug wich should be fixed. :shock: :(
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

deserter wrote:I would agree, if it worked. :) I would imagine the following to be quite possible:
One recruits "change recruiter"-unit to pass the ability to recruit to other leader, which recruits proper units and then moves on.
Now the one who stayed in his keep, discovers that he needs to recruit proper units, but he can't.
That's because he can't recruit "change recruiter"-unit! The leader that moved will have to change the recruiter, but he has already used all his moves.
A-ha! But you can still track when one recruiter moves outside his keep, and also use that as a signal to change the recruiter. So, when both are in their keeps, they can pass recruitership to each other by recruiting the "change recruiter" unit, and when there's just one recruiter in a keep, only he can recruit.

It wouldn't even be all that difficult to instruct the player. "If both of your leaders are located in a keep, you can switch who gets to recruit selecting 'change recruiter' from the recruit screen."
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

zookeeper wrote:
deserter wrote:I would agree, if it worked. :) I would imagine the following to be quite possible:
A-ha! But you can still track when one recruiter moves outside his keep, and also use that as a signal to change the recruiter. So, when both are in their keeps, they can pass recruitership to each other by recruiting the "change recruiter" unit, and when there's just one recruiter in a keep, only he can recruit.

It wouldn't even be all that difficult to instruct the player. "If both of your leaders are located in a keep, you can switch who gets to recruit selecting 'change recruiter' from the recruit screen."

'aight. :)
I think that I missed something obvious. ;)

Sounds good, but ridiculously hard (only) for me.
I'm a WML-noob. 8)

But I am able to learn that anyway, if I want hard enough...
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Um... If I wanted to make a custom unit, can I in a some way include it in the config-file of the MP scenario, or do I have to make a custom era or something?