1.16 SP Campaign: Trinity

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

1.16 SP Campaign: Trinity

Post by doofus-01 »

This campaign is a sequel to the campaign Bad Moon Rising, though it isn't necessary to play BMR first. This campaign does require Archaic Era & Archaic Resources add-ons.

------------------------------------------------------------*Status*------------------------------------------------------
First upload to BfW 1.14. There may be bugs. Rewrite of second part is complete, but adjustments may still be needed. The text below may be outdated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story
The plot is basically that two old adversaries from a forgotten epoch, villains recognizable from Bad Moon Rising, come down to Weldyn and trash the place. But they get defeated, of course. The player alternates between three sides during the campaign, at least throughout Part 1.

Style
This campaign is more or less standard BfW, no fancy world-maps, inventories, or any of that crap. There are a couple of scenarios that are non-standard, and require the use of the right-click menu. The player gets to use mainline units (mostly Loyalists) and Archaic Era Khthon and South-Seas. Extra attention has been paid to terrain graphics, most noticeably in Part 2.

EDIT (20170702): Uploaded v1.4.0 to BfW 1.13 server, for the 1.13/1.14 debut. This has also been uploaded to GitHub: https://github.com/doofus-01/wesnoth-Trinity
EDIT (20141221): added a couple of screen-shots.
Trinity_screenshot1.jpg
Trinity_screenshot2.jpg
-------------------------------------------
It is for BfW 1.10 and BfW 1.11/1.12 (the current version)[*], though only the latter is being developed. Earlier versions (such as BfW 1.8) are no longer being supported and support for 1.10 will be dropped once BfW 1.12 is released. EDIT:BfW 1.12 is released, so 1.10 is dead to me, don't ask about it.

[*]The BfW 1.11/1.12 version has been undergoing a rewrite, and has been split into two parts. It is almost finished and playable, though the ending is still a work in progress, as is much of the balancing. For this reason, older posts in this thread may not be so relevant anymore.

It does need play-testing, so if you find anything, please let me know (in this thread). Thanks.

EDIT: Updated title, because BfW 1.12 is on the horizon, and we can all forget about 1.10 and 1.11.
----------------original post-----------------------
This thread is for the BfW 1.9/1.10 version of the single player campaign Trinity. Here is the thread for the 1.8 version:http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27072

Version 0.1.17 went to the server. It most likely has bugs; I just ran wmllint on it, cleaned up obvious stuff, and made sure it loaded.
Last edited by doofus-01 on July 18th, 2022, 3:28 am, edited 9 times in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign: Trinity

Post by doofus-01 »

0.1.18 went to the server. The third scenario didn't work, so no one could have gotten very far with this campaign yet. But now it should work.
-----------------
EDIT: It is still broken, I'm trying to get it straightened out. I think it is the hyphens thing, but wesnoth no longer gives useful error messages, at least with the default logging level, so this is slow going.
-----------------

I've reorganized the terrains, so if you update this campaign, you will need to update Archaic_Era as well because that is where the terrains are now.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.1.21 just went to the server. I think I've finally cleaned out the data corruption. It appears to work, at least up to the third Nemesis scenario.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.1.22 just went to the server. A few more bug fixes, some minor changes to maps - mostly graphics. I've tested it up to the start of the fourth Nemesis scenario, it might even work beyond that.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.23 just went to the server. There are some bug-fixes up through the 5th Primeval scenario (the one with the cross-hairs). There will probably need to be two or three more of these releases until this totally works, but it is getting there.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.1.24 just went to the server. There have been some updates to the scenario with the cross-hairs and next real scenario after that.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I've found a bug: if you kill Keldan in Echidna's 2nd scenario nothing happens, but I'm sure you're supposed to lose because you have to posses him.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I thought I'd fixed this, I'll look at it again. Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.1.25 just went to the server. I've made some revisions to the last scenarios. It should now be possible to play the thing all the way to the end without cheating.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.1.26 just went to the server. It is mostly graphics & theatrics updates, there weren't really any changes to the gameplay. I think this may be the last development update for a while, now it'll just be bug-fixes and keeping compatibility with Wesnoth.

I can't think of any outstanding bugs, but they may exist. If anyone finds one, please let me know.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

My version numbers didn't make any sense, this campaign is complete. I've just sent 1.0.0 to the server. It fixes some issues in the last scenario, I don't think it was possible to win in the previous release.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.0.1 just went to the server. There were a small number of graphics updates, I've also removed some of the pointless scenarios in the human side. I've added a new hero character, so that the recruit list is a little more varied. It also lays some groundwork for the other branch, which may or may not get done some day.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.0.2 just went to the server. I've undone some of the changes in the previous release (got rid of the ghost), but it should not break saves. There is a significant change to one of the characters from the first scenario, aside from a not-quite finished portrait.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.0.3 just went to the server. I've almost, but not quite, managed to finished the alternate ending path. The last scenario, 5b_Illusions, has some expensive graphics (the hole in the floor of the ice cave), if I can find a better way to deal with it, I will. Ideally, the ground would scroll, instead of rock back and forth, but that would be too many megabytes, the way I'm doing it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with it, I'm all ears.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

If you don't mind the terrain looping, I think it's possible.

Step 1: create a more accurate map of the terrain in the terrain graphics tag. Replace all '*'s for hexes that are not part of the hole with '.'s. This should keep the engine from drawing on the non-tile spaces. If this doesn't work, copying out all the terrain graphics base tags for the surrounding terrain and raising them to a layer higher than the hole image will work. I suggest the first option just to keep things simpler.
Step 2: make a really big image with the terrain you want. For simplicity, copy a section the width of the hole from the left side to the right. The image should then look something like this:
aaabbbaaa
Step 3: use image.png~CROP(offset,0,hole width,image height) for varying offsets in pixels from 0 to just before the start of the repeated section
Should look like
backdrops/sky-hole.png~CROP(0,0,859,640):750,backdrops/sky-hole.png~CROP(0,10,859,640):750, ...

The effect should be continual looping motion over the background.

For extra fun, do the clouds as a separate layer/image and have it move at a higher speed (i.e. fewer frames in the loop).

Edit: Looking at your WML further, it looks like you intend it to be walkable. The simplest way to add that would be to add a custom transition border that doesn't animate and is drawn on top of the animated backdrop with another image tag.

The reason I noted for simplicity in step 2 is that you could use ~BLIT and a second canvas image to show all the pieces if you want to minimize file size. It's much more complicated though.