1.11 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

1.11 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Post by doofus-01 »

EDIT: This was released on BfW 1.9/1.10, but as of 0.0.23 is moved to 1.11
Abstract
Tales of the Setting Sun is supposed to predate the known Wesnoth history, it is related to Bad Moon Rising and Trinity, but it is not directly related and it shouldn't be necessary to play those for this to make any sense. It is basically deals with why Primeval and Khthon of those other two campaigns were dormant.

It has worldmap and battle & skirmish scenarios, sort of like BMR, but I'm starting over on the WML for that. I hope it will be simpler and better this time.

Known issues:EDIT:I haven't been updating this, just ignore.
- I'm having a bit of trouble with the AI in the first scenario; it is capture-the-flag, but once the AI captures the flag, it doesn't try to go back to its base.
- The city terrain graphics have some issues. It's confusing and I don't know what else to say but that I'm working on it.
-When skirmish is over, map position is restored with a bogus [teleport_unit] tag, which doesn't work. This will be fixed next time.All map start-positions should be OK now.
-Flag overlay from first scenario is not removed upon victory.fixed in 0.0.4
- Shields cannot be removed or upgraded, if a unit picks one up, they are stuck with it.fixed in 0.0.5
----------------------------------(Original Post)--------------------------------
0.0.1 : There will be two parts eventually, but for now I'm only going to worry about Part I. This first version has two mostly playable, but not quite finished, scenarios as well as an entrance onto the worldmap, but there isn't really anything to do after that yet. In addition to the usual issues, there is a lot of artwork to do, so it is slow going.

I hope to have a more "fun" version soon, but I uploaded it in case anyone feels like taking a look at what is there and can help with the problems above or can find other buggy behavior in the worldmap/skirmish scenario handling.
Last edited by doofus-01 on October 22nd, 2012, 5:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.2 has been sent to the 1.9 server. It is more playable, but it is still very early on and it won't take you long to hit the yellow sawhorse. This version shows the recruitment system (with the warrior in Agoratera) and what I hope to do with cities (the tavern in Kaoston) to avoid sprinkling clumps of villages on the map. I've updated the "known issues" in the first post.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
william150

Post by william150 »

Even after a first level has been completed Exanora continues with the flag icon.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Added to the list on first post, will be fixed next time. Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.3 went to the server. Significant work went into the basic mechanics, and the parts that are written are better, but it still peters out after the fight at Kaoston.

World-map: The general idea is that
- there are random muggers and beasts that can attack the player's party, generally bigger in number but pretty weak per unit. But a minority of skirmishes lead to a fight with a dragon, which is more dangerous. The dragon race is still in flux, I don't think it is balanced right now but it is a place to start. (And the graphics are placeholder, animations completely non-existant).
- The moves are limited to one hex, but that is restored after moving. In other words, you can only move one hex at a time, but you can move any number of hexes per turn, as long as you don't trigger another scenario.

Unit recruitment:

- The basic unit is a guy/gal with clothes and no weapon. They can pick up weapons and armor; for graphics reasons it is limited to four armor types and six weapon types, but more subtle variations can be done in the future. These folks don't gain levels, but they do get AMLAs that are better than the default, so it is worth advancing them.

- Other units can be hired, depends upon scenarios.

This version requires the latest Archaic_Era add-on.

I'm going to fall off the grid for a while ('tis the season) but if anyone wants to test the worldmap/skirmish parts, that would help.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.4 went to the server. There are some bugfixes to the skirmishes and more scenarios are playable. It is generally playable, I think significantly better than 0.0.3, but incomplete and the balance isn't everything it could be.

New Mechanics:
- There are more weapons than just the basic six, though there are still only six "types" (sword,mace,spear,bow,sling,chakram). This will not change, my current system makes it painful to incorporate more types. But there can be different weapons within one type (different swords, for example). There are still only three armor types, but I hope to have more sub-types next time.

- There are shields that units can pick up, they give melee units higher resistances. I should mention that there is no way to upgrade a shield yet, I hope to change that. I'm adding this to the list on the first post.

------------------------------------------

I used the player keyboard input feature on some of the dialogues, that might be a good or bad idea, I'm not sure. If anyone has an opinion, I'm all ears. Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.5 has been released. The storyline has not progressed but it is still an improvement. Shields are handled more sanely now, knives (secondary weapons) are similar. Armor and primary weapons are same as before, but I will try to make them more like the shields & knives in the future. There were a few other bug-fixes.

I've updated the issues list in the first post.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Moving to hex 26,22 with the flag carrier doesn't trigger victory for me (unit was a generic soldier equipped with a bow). Is this intentional?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It works for me, but it wouldn't be the first time the variables got screwed up. If you send me the save-file I might be able to find the bug.
Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.6 has been released. The mechanics are improved, but it still has bugs. All weapons can be dropped, but it sometimes leads to weird effects. I hope to have this issue resolved next time, so the storyline can progress.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.7 has been uploaded, I think/hope the weapon drop-pickup issues are solved. It will be nice to stop screwing with WML and get back to the good stuff. We'll see.
Silence

Post by Silence »

I decided to replay 0.0.7 and see if I could replicate the bug, and I did - it seems that after you kill the enemy leader holding the red flag, he drops his flag and armor. When you move to take the armor, the flag disappears while the armor goes on the unit. Flag carrier this time was also a generic soldier with a bow, except female instead.

I then reloaded from a few turns earlier and moved the bow soldier back my based avoiding the enemy leader, and the bug didn't occur. It seems that as long as the red flag doesn't 'disappear', you can still win the level.
Attachments
SetSun-Capture_the_Flag_Turn_20.gz
(39.59 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OK, I see what happened. It will be fixed next time. Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.8 has been uploaded. It doesn't have any more scenarios, but it does have some bug-fixes and improvements. I'll update the first post later...
ItzKash

Post by ItzKash »

In the scenario where you head to Cypress Hill after inquiring about it with Aria, I'm not sure if you intended it or not but Dissidents infinitely respawn even when the Revolutionaries are slain. Is this just because the scenario is incomplete?