New units (dwarf)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rjimlad

New units (dwarf)

Post by rjimlad »

Hi,

I notice that the dwarves in the early (classic) era feel a bit unbalanced, due to the complete lack of a viable scout unit. Currently, the fastest early-era dwarf is the Ulfserker which, on the one hand, is spectacularly vulnerable, and, on the other, too powerful to use as a scout (village grabber/spotter). So, I'll propose something to fill the scout role for that faction which in later eras is filled by the gryphon riders.

Of course, to a certain extent, Classic has to be unbalanced, but it'd be nice to fix it if possible.

So, here's my idea:

1. Create a level 0 unit the "dwarf runner" or "dwarf messenger", something like:
Cost: 14
HP: 24
Moves: 5
axe: (short, 4-2)

2. (1) upgrades to (level 1) Ulfserker

...but it doesn't seem entirely natural to have a unit upgrade (only) to something with such a radically different role. And, most (all?) of the other factions, at one level or another, have either a healing or a regenerating unit. Mayber dwarves shouldn't have either, but it feels like an omission to lack it, so, in addition or as an alternative to (2):

3. (1) upgrades to a level 1 unit the "dwarf medic"
Cost: 24 (default era)
HP: 36
axe: (short, 5-3)
heals

...the idea being that this unit have fairly high melee attack (like other dwarves) but have *some* healing ability.

4. (3) upgrades to a level 2 unit the "dwarf field medic"
Cost: 36 (age of heroes?)
HP: 44
axe: (short, 7-4)
heals

...the upgrade to a medic should be something with no stronger healing ability (strong healing units just wouldn't seem to work with dwarves), but rather just be a more reliable unit in a fight.

Opinions?

The numbers are all off the top of my head; the idea being that the runner be a unit (like bats, human scouts) that's generally likely to die at the hands of another unit of equal level, be fast enough to match the current fastest dwarf unit (but no faster) and be cheap enough to throw away a couple at the start. The medic is intended to be mildly underpowered (so as to make the mutual healing attack groups that might be so attractive not viable) and be the kind of unit that you'd scuttle around behind your lines or away from the enemy (ie, out of danger), but could use to attack if need be.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Have you seen the "All Factions" MP Era on the campaign server? It has a Dwarf Runner unit, although it isn't level 0.

Also, refer to the "Breaking the Alliance" thread for the most recent speculations about what sorts of units might be added to the Knalgan Alliance.

Hope that helps!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Grr.

IMHO, Classic should be taken out. It is a bad idea to balance it, because that encourages balancing by race not faction. And it would make us add too many units. But, if it is unbalanced, people will keep complaining about it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm