Request - young Delfador portraits

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

beginning to color, and attempting not to cell shade. Comments on whether I'm going about this the right way?
Attachments
delf.png
delf.png (32.35 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

no offense, but the current way he's done looks moses. Not sure if there's a way to fix that
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

What a bizarre comment. "Moses" just means "a good guy with a beard", presumably.

If anything there's the fact that the staff looks a little... rustic. Delf wasn't a hedge wizard, so he'd presumably use a reasonably refined staff even as an apprentice. The actual figure's great, pretty much how I always imagined young Delf (basically an Obi-Wan stand-in).

- Chris
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

This will be a great portrait for my Jesus Campaign. Thanks, Thrawn,
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Jesus campagin? Oh do tell! ^^.
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

Thrawn wrote:beginning to color, and attempting not to cell shade. Comments on whether I'm going about this the right way?
WHOW! It's very nice! I love it! But it has a big trouble. It perfectly fits with the Delfador's portrait from the Wesnoth 1.0 . The Delfador from the 1.1 is definitely different. This is the tall, robust, possibly authoritative man with the magic staff. It also perfectly fits with the Josh's Journeman Mage from the DM campaign, so I'll be glad to use the image.

According the staff: no, it's good enough. Remember the Gandalf's staff from the Jackson's LoTR. But... I'd like to use another one portrait image with a more "powerful" mage staff, because the Delfador in DM is able to find a staff of power, which should look much more better than the one on the image.
Last edited by tapik on December 19th, 2006, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Sapient wrote:This will be a great portrait for my Jesus Campaign. Thanks, Thrawn,
I'm interested in how you can keep religion out of that one :P

re: Moses and Jesus: well delf has done some amazing things, and you could say he led Konrad from the clutches Asheviere like Moses did the Israelites from the egytptians, or Harriet "Moses" Tubman lead the slaves to freedom. Wait, I'm reading to much into your comments :)

Tapik, so this is being used for a journeyman? If so I'll change some of the colors, I want to keep the purple for Delf, if that is okay with you.

When making the new Delf image, I want to make him thinner and lankier I'm guessing (as this guy is rather stout looking) I'll make him thinner, give him a better staff, and give him some decorations, so he looks special, not generic like this portrait.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

Thrawn wrote:Tapik, so this is being used for a journeyman? If so I'll change some of the colors, I want to keep the purple for Delf, if that is okay with you.
It will be fine, if you make the portraits as closely as possible with Delf unit images in DM. May be the DM unit images have to be changed, too, so be free with any required changes.
Thrawn wrote: When making the new Delf image, I want to make him thinner and lankier I'm guessing (as this guy is rather stout looking) I'll make him thinner, give him a better staff, and give him some decorations, so he looks special, not generic like this portrait.
OK, I'll use it for Delfador on higher level (e.g. for Mage commander)
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

Thrawn wrote:When making the new Delf image, I want to make him thinner and lankier I'm guessing (as this guy is rather stout looking) I'll make him thinner, give him a better staff, and give him some decorations, so he looks special, not generic like this portrait.
Hi, I'm back for a long time illness - Thrawn, please could you continue with your great effort? Thanks very much!
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs