Song

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Magnus

Song

Post by Magnus »

Hi

This is just exported from sibelius, but if you might be interested in having it in the game, I'll gladly make it with soundfonts.

http://omkved.com/wesnoth.mp3
Spi

Re: Song

Post by Spi »

Well i'm no music developer for Wesnoth but here's my 2 cents anyways:

Overall I quite like this piece, as in melody, but I find that it lacks in several areas:

It seems to have no introduction and starts off almost brutally; is that desired?
The instruments lack depth: the trumpets for example don't sound like brass (if I'm hearing this correctly) - they're missing that metallic sound which is so distinctive of their class.
The harp is nice but then again I don't hear it often so I won't be able to judge.

Perhaps checking out the free soundfonts provided by the wesnoth team (see the relevant thread) could help?

Best wishes as to how this turns out,

Spi
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Like the above, I'm hardly what you would call an accomplished composer, but the first thing I noticed about this composition was the synths (or at least a very synthetic sound). As per the wesnoth music contribution guidelines, wesnoth tracks should be composed only with instruments found in a traditional orchestra (with very few exceptions)... and synths are not.

That said, perhaps this score would really rock (don't want to give the wrong idea) be awesome if it had different instrumentation.

But take this with a grain of salt, because, like I said, I'm not much of a composer. :) I'm sure someone more skilled than I can give you better and more constructive crit.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Thanks. All feedback is appreciated. I'll look at the beginning and end. As for the sound quality, this is just exported from the notation program i used to write it, so it sounds terrible as it is now. I'll fix that later.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Magnus, thanks for your submission. I hear what you're saying about this coming straight from Sibelius, so I'll try and ignore the synthy sound. Still, I'm not too impressed with what I hear and I doubt we could use your composition even if you remake it with better samples. It strikes me as very dull and repetitive and completely lacks anything that stands out or feels memorable. Basically all I hear is a clichéd classical chord progression repeating over and over, with a harp accompaniment that sounds like an arpeggiator and a lot of machine gun snares. I understand that some good samples would make it sound more like a real piece and less like an outtake from the Warcraft II soundtrack, but I TBH doubt it would make a world of difference. The composition itself is simply not happening, if you know what I mean.

It's obvious that you're not a clueless beginner, there's nothing musically *wrong* with the piece. It sounds passable enough in terms of harmonies and progressions (and even instrumentation, as far as I can tell). But like I said, it's dull. If you want your music in mainline Wesnoth, you're going to have to work a lot harder.