So I typed "Battle for Wesnoth" into my yahoo search bar...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: So I typed "Battle for Wesnoth" into my yahoo search bar

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

My Wesnoth 1.0.2 directory includes about 4000 files. Some of them are art and other things that still are in 1.2 also, so there is some duplicated stuff. Regarding the removed tracks, you can find them here: http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/branches/1.0/music/
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I've dropped in a bit late, but I DO think you should include 1.0, the sprites from 1.0 and 1.2 are very different. Just take a look at

The 1.2 Unit Sprites
The 1.0 Unit Sprites

(Some of the images for 1.2 don't work, but trust me, they're different. 1.2 was the first to use the "new" style of sprites.)

1.0 also had the somewhat-cool feature of having a different song play depending on the faction and if it was their turn. Most of those songs were eliminated in later versions. (And the Northerners theme replaced recently)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

I'll take a look at the 1.0 stuff after 1.2 then. But, I'm still only on 'e' for 1.2 :annoyed:
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

:) Nostalgic feelings, when seeing the 1.0.2-sprites ... (I started playing on this version, when the mages were blue). Team-coloring started a bit after this.
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

Hulavuta wrote:I've dropped in a bit late, but I DO think you should include 1.0, the sprites from 1.0 and 1.2 are very different. Just take a look at

The 1.2 Unit Sprites
Sprites for Elves 1.2 were gone? They are not there....
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

tapik wrote:
Hulavuta wrote:I've dropped in a bit late, but I DO think you should include 1.0, the sprites from 1.0 and 1.2 are very different. Just take a look at

The 1.2 Unit Sprites
Sprites for Elves 1.2 were gone? They are not there....
Hulavuta wrote: (Some of the images for 1.2 don't work, but trust me, they're different. 1.2 was the first to use the "new" style of sprites.)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I have .zip files of version 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0.2, 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6. Shoot me a PM if any would be helpful.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Sangel wrote:I have .zip files of version 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0.2, 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6. Shoot me a PM if any would be helpful.
Is that of the main game or the addons? I'm currently working my way through the addon servers only (Norbert has furnished me with zip files of them all - 1.2 and onwards).

I'll be tackling the mainline content after I've done the addons, or even after I've done the forums - as it's the most easily accessible.

However, I'd be most interested in a version of the full game from before most of the sprites were updated into the current style (1.2 has the current Elves in it at least); from what others are saying, 1.0 is what I'm after - plus all the old style music.

Thanks for all the offers and advice. If anyone can think of anything else I should include.

As per my progress: I've finished all of 1.2, amounting to around 1,400 files in total (including individual animation png's) and Norbert is working on the front end. We hope to have a first version up in the near future, before I work on the 27,000 files from 1.4-1.8
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Sangel wrote:I have .zip files of version 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0.2, 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6.
Of course, I just want to remember that all Wesnoth versions from 0.7.11 onwards are available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/ . For everyone interested, at http://files.wesnoth.org/old/ there are all the ancient Wesnoth versions, from 0.1 to 0.4.8.
Daravel wrote:Is that of the main game or the addons? I'm currently working my way through the addon servers only (Norbert has furnished me with zip files of them all - 1.2 and onwards).
And at http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.0/ there is the archive of the add-ons for Wesnoth 1.0.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
norbert

Post by norbert »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:And at http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.0/ there is the archive of the add-ons for Wesnoth 1.0.
Okay, the images and audio in those packages total to 46 MB (6,025 files; includes possible doubles, .~x~).
I've created a zip package of it that can be downloaded here. (mirror; "Save file to your PC: click here")
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

I downloaded your zip for 1.0 addons; and sent you 3 PM's :)

A question to any UMC authors:

How would you go about finding content for your addon? Would you have a very clear idea of what you wanted and look for that, picking either the best fit you could find, or not taking anything at all. Or would you do a wider search and browse through all the available content and potentially change your story to fit what was available?

Would you be happy to look through up to 100 images to find a match, or would you prefer to only have to look at a few, directlly relevant files?

Also, anyone with anything, of any kind that they have never uploaded onto the addon servers; please send me the file (provided you want it used in Wesnoth) rather than it languishing on your hard drive :)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, some sort of filtering could be nice, either by file title or type (sprite, portrait, story image, music, etc.), or both, maybe, but I wouldn't overly mind browsing through a few hundred sprites to find one that suits me if it was well organised and presented (i.e. not like the graphics library). When I look for stuff, I usually have a relatively clear idea of what I want, but sometimes looking at diverse stuff allows you to see what's available and gives you other ideas, so it's not all bad. I wouldn't necessarily change my story depending on what is available, though: I'd probably rather take something as a place holder, planning to correct it at some point in the future.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth