New unit idea

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Assasin

Post by Assasin »

YES! Well put by the man from Texas!!

Okay, lets get real here. This unit is for a campagin, correct? Which campagin?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Another half-pointless post.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Its not meaningless. If I'm gonna endorse it, I want to know how it will be employed. If it is going on to a badly written, stupid plot, candy ass campagin, I'm not gonna want it.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I meant the guy from texas part...

The desert rider sounds like a cool scout unit, but seems too similar to the elvish one, at least from the stats you described.
Sorry for the meaningless post
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

romnajin wrote:I meant the guy from texas part...
Huh? He was saying that he liked my post (I'm from texas!)

As long as the rest of his post was meaningful, and it was, it was not even half-pointless.
romnajin wrote:The desert rider sounds like a cool scout unit, but seems too similar to the elvish one, at least from the stats you described.
And it goes good in desert, but very bad in forest...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

turin wrote:And it goes good in desert, but very bad in forest...
That was my idea, a desert scout. All current non-campaign units have at least 2 movement in sand.
Oh yeah, quartex asked fo a turban-nomad.
Attachments
turban-nomad.jpg
turban-nomad.jpg (3.07 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
CyberJack

Post by CyberJack »

turin wrote:
romnajin wrote:The desert rider sounds like a cool scout unit, but seems too similar to the elvish one, at least from the stats you described.
And it goes good in desert, but very bad in forest...
And is therefore completely different, even if the stats are identical, because they operate on such different terrain (and there shouldn't be many places where forest meets desert, so they'll hardly ever be operating within the same areas).

Equal (therefore balanced) but different! The ideal criterion for adding units :D
CyberJack

Post by CyberJack »

martenzo wrote:
turin wrote:And it goes good in desert, but very bad in forest...
That was my idea, a desert scout. All current non-campaign units have at least 2 movement in sand.
Oh yeah, quartex asked fo a turban-nomad.
Nice graphics :D

My only suggestion would be, can you give the horse slightly longer legs and make the torso correspondingly less deep? At present, it looks a little too much like a little round pony, rather than the sleekest of desert steeds. Maybe make the neck a fraction longer too, again to make it less ponyish?
Disto

Post by Disto »

The horse isn't even coloured yet so that shouldn't be hard Cyberjack.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

well... the turban version doesn't look good to me, even though i made it. It looks as if it had a towel around its head. If anybody could colour the horse light grey, please do. I stink at coloring (at least in pics as small as these).
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
Bander

Post by Bander »

He looks more like a crusader (Or someone who isn't from a desert) more than a nomad (someone who has spent their whole life on the sands)

Make his clothes a lighter more sandy color, and make them looser.
Also, If you really want a really desert style give him a camel!
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Bander wrote:He looks more like a crusader (Or someone who isn't from a desert) more than a nomad (someone who has spent their whole life on the sands)

1. Nomad is supposed to be a desert light cavalry, that means fast. And camels aren't fast.
2. WINR I'm not sure if there are any camels in wesnoth at all.
3. I'm not a very good artist, the unit is mostly patched up from other units. (Head of the mage of light, body from the elvish rider, sword from the sea orc, horse from the human cavalryman.)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

It's a good start, and thanks for the effort martenzo, but it needs work.

I would make the horse brown, you can probably use the same horse graphic as the elvish scout or disto's horse archer. The turban does look a bit like a towel. Maybe it shouldn't poke up as much, a grey/white cloth covering for his head might be enough. And changing his clothing from green to tan/light brown might help too. I like the desert nomad, right now it looks a bit like a european crusader on a white charger.
CyberJack

Post by CyberJack »

martenzo wrote:
Bander wrote:He looks more like a crusader (Or someone who isn't from a desert) more than a nomad (someone who has spent their whole life on the sands)

1. Nomad is supposed to be a desert light cavalry, that means fast. And camels aren't fast.
Camels are pretty fast. Not quite as fast as a racehorse, but certainly faster than a carthorse. And they can keep going longer. See http://www.camelphotos.com/RacingCamelsP1.html
Perhaps you could style the rider after the guys in those photos ...
"As for the future, your task is not to foresee it, but to enable it" -- Antoine de-Saint Exupery.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I've changed the turban if your interested, and Martenzo save it at 100% quality or PNG, only 3 kb, btw when i tinkered with it i had guessed al the things it came from.
Attachments
turban-nomad.jpg
turban-nomad.jpg (3 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth