"wml guide" and textbooks

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
needmoreplayers

"wml guide" and textbooks

Post by needmoreplayers »

what code editors separates

the code

#from the comments

and color codes the code from the comments so that i can read clearly what is the code - and what is the #comments

maybe the comments could be in lighter black color

and different parts of the code could be in different colors

would need that to be able to read the code in the code files

would need a good tool to do any kind of longer term editing or creation of code

i couldnt look at a black and white code file for 8 or 16 hours a day, everyday, i couldnt do that

also where is all the code?

is all of it just in "_main"

is that all you need?

just the stuff in "_main"

what are all the other stuff (none of those thigns are explained)

i clicked the 'readme' and it only had a short paragraph that didnt even say exactly which were the coding files that were definitely needed for a "campaign" to work minimally

this whole thing seems very short

was thinking that this "wml guide" would show how to do interesting or creative things or very indepth things with "wml" - since that is what a guide is

kinda like you have passionate and experienced gamers who love certain games and they create Extremely Detailed guides of w/e things, games that i've never played

but this "guide" doesnt seem explain how to create custom units (with very complicated or interesting skillsets) or any of the other endlessly interesting things in detail and with depth ?

--

if those codes in that "_main" is all you need to make a basic campaign, then at least a basic campaign should be very easy to do?

but im only intrested in doing interesting things and would need indepth videos and actual step by step guides of how to do those interesting and creative things since thats how to learn much more effectively (and correctly also)

also need full and complete and highly detailed documentation (of anything im learning)

-- with the exception of games though. a game with a good enough user interface is understandable and learnable though

for coding things, definitely need much more comprehensive sources, or to ask very experienced people about a whole bunch of different coding things

kinda like textbooks or indepth explainers of different topics (that may be on youtube, etc) - well, its hard to find the really good stuff, but they're out there on the internet, for at least the things that exist ..

if these various things above doesnt exist yet, then possbly lua or some other code things would be the eventual future and promsiing and fruitful goal, at when it comes to coding and game-making stuff
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: "wml guide" and textbooks

Post by Ravana »

I think your guide is quite incomplete and not useful for others.
gnombat

Re: "wml guide" and textbooks

Post by gnombat »

needmoreplayers wrote: December 1st, 2023, 7:14 am was thinking that this "wml guide" would show how to do interesting or creative things or very indepth things with "wml" - since that is what a guide is

if those codes in that "_main" is all you need to make a basic campaign, then at least a basic campaign should be very easy to do?

but im only intrested in doing interesting things
Like anything else in life, you need to learn and understand the fundamentals before you can do anything more complicated.

If you don't understand the stuff in the WML Guide, there's no way you can possibly succeed at making anything more interesting. You need to learn the basics first.