REQUEST - New images for orcish crossbowman

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

REQUEST - New images for orcish crossbowman

Post by Jetrel »

Hopefully eternal and zhukov can chime in, here - for this one I'm more than willing to help out with some of the animation frames.

I would like to "biggify" the slurbow enough to be nearly the size of the warrior, though not quite (especially broadening those puny shoulders), but I'd like to do so without really changing the costuming - adding new details in is fine, but I'd like to leave most of the costuming as-is. The only other major change is that, to improve the transition between the standing and melee-attack images, I'd like to swap the sides of the two weapons on this guy.

After that, I'd like to completely redesign (except perhaps for the head) the crossbowman, making him more of a proper "intermediate" step between the two. The crossbowman should be as big as the grunt. Also, I'd like to come up with a new angle for drawing the crossbowman's crossbow, preferably one which won't cover up the entire body (and preferably one at a side angle).
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

I tweaked up the xbow... I'm quite unsure how to position the crossbow so it looks good and isn't covering the whole body...

Well here's the unit with a loose crossbow. How does it look? Is it too big?
Attachments
The crossbow strings don't show up very well against this background. Hope you can bear with that.
The crossbow strings don't show up very well against this background. Hope you can bear with that.
xbowman.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 8474 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Hender

Post by Hender »

I don't understand why we never see the orcs' faces. I never understood, when I started playing, why the grunt had a tiny head with a helmet ... it did not look orc-like at all. Likewise the assassin and archer lines have masks on. So I made a quick edit of Eternal's sprite as a lousy proof of concept.

Yeah ... I'll go back and make nagas again.
Attachments
face.PNG
face.PNG (1.37 KiB) Viewed 8408 times
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eternal wrote:I tweaked up the xbow... I'm quite unsure how to position the crossbow so it looks good and isn't covering the whole body...

Well here's the unit with a loose crossbow. How does it look? Is it too big?
Nope, believe it or not, it's too short. I'd like the crossbowman to be as intimidating in size as the grunt - he has more hitpoints, and is also a level-2 to boot.

This is okay, morphologically, if we take the archer to be kneeling.

I've done a quick hack to illustrate this - the crossbowman may be a bit too "thick"/burly, but it should be the same height as the grunt.
Attachments
xbowman_bigger.png
xbowman_bigger.png (5.31 KiB) Viewed 8367 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Hender wrote:I don't understand why we never see the orcs' faces. I never understood, when I started playing, why the grunt had a tiny head with a helmet ... it did not look orc-like at all. Likewise the assassin and archer lines have masks on. So I made a quick edit of Eternal's sprite as a lousy proof of concept.

Yeah ... I'll go back and make nagas again.
Please do - this kind of commentary is really unwelcome. Especially preposterous statements like: "it did not look orc-like at all." A more accurate way to phrase this would be "it did not agree with my conception of orcs," since, of course, orcs aren't real, and thus we have nothing to validate against. We've chosen a single cultural design for the mainline orcs, and we're not changing that at this 11th hour.

This isn't up for discussion here - any OT comments about "what is properly orcish" are going to be mercilessly deleted.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Hender wrote:why the grunt had a tiny head
Because we never got around to replacing the ancient-wesnoth head with the modern size - shame on us. If our two patron saints of all things orcish don't mind*, I'd like to apply the following edit to the Grunt and Warrior (just a size increase on the head):

* this of course means eternal and zhukov. Duh. ;)
Attachments
orcHeadFix.png
orcHeadFix.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I'm starting on the slurbow now. Just so you and Eternal know.

Regarding grunt-line heads, well...I'm having instant negative reaction. However that's likely because I'm accustomed to the small ones. (Had a similar initial reaction to the new HI, but got used to them pretty quick.)
Maybe reduce the head on the Grunt just a leeeeedle bit. The bubble head effect is most jarring on him because his body is smaller then the Warrior and Warlord.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:Regarding grunt-line heads, well...I'm having instant negative reaction. However that's likely because I'm accustomed to the small ones. (Had a similar initial reaction to the new HI, but got used to them pretty quick.) Maybe reduce the head on the Grunt just a leeeeedle bit. The bubble head effect is most jarring on him because his body is smaller then the Warrior and Warlord.
Actually, one possible avenue of fixing is to beef him up a little bit - I've widened the shoulders on both him and the warrior in the following image.
Attachments
orcHeadFix2.png
orcHeadFix2.png (3.43 KiB) Viewed 8280 times
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Okay, how's this for the Slurbow?

For now I've left out the arm and hand that will hold the crossbow - wasn't entirely sure what to do with it.
One distinct possibility is for him to hold it like this creature by Alks (bottom centre). Could work...?

Attaching the XCF file just in case.
Attachments
Slurbow.png
Slurbow.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
Slurbow.zip
(21.29 KiB) Downloaded 637 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:Okay, how's this for the Slurbow?

For now I've left out the arm and hand that will hold the crossbow - wasn't entirely sure what to do with it.
One distinct possibility is for him to hold it like this creature by Alks (bottom centre). Could work...?
It could, although Alks' pose is a little goofy. I'd suggest having him just hold it down and to the side.

Everything else you've done for the slurbow is fairly good - there are a few minor edits I'd like to make, and I'll unfortunately give the usual 8hr delay while I go sleep; I'll try and do them in the morning.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Jetryl wrote:
Hender wrote:I don't understand why we never see the orcs' faces. I never understood, when I started playing, why the grunt had a tiny head with a helmet
This isn't up for discussion here - any OT comments about "what is properly orcish" are going to be mercilessly deleted.
I'm certainly not going to argue that it's 'improperly orcish', but the sprite art for the Grunt line does seem inconsistent with the portrait art for that line (or vice versa).

I know I'm not an Art Dev, so I'm just flagging this for comment - not passing judgement.

And I realise there's some flexibility for artistic embellishment in the creation of portraits, but this seems to go beyond that into incongruity.
Last edited by irrevenant on January 7th, 2007, 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

New helmets for grunt and warrior. Looks neat. :)
But I just got done the zombie variation with a small helmet! :annoyed:

It's nothing, really. I'll get it fixed quick and with no trouble. :wink:

Here's a crossbowman just about the height of a grunt. Too burly still?
Attachments
xbowman.png
xbowman.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 8153 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

stupid question: is the xbowman an orc or a goblin ? form the archer graphic, I would say it's a goblin, but goblins should be less massive...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

It's an orc and the size of the archer has bothered me too.
The archer should be at least the size of the current assasin.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I was under the impression Archers and Assassins were actually goblins.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.