Tuning leaders

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

miyo

Tuning leaders

Post by miyo »

This started under "Improving the AI", making a new branch here.
Dave wrote: 1) Should it be made so that leaders cannot heal at all during a level? If enemy units get to your leader, and inflict large amounts of damage on him before getting repelled, should you be able to just heal him, or should he have to be very carefully defended for the remainder of the level?
(2) Should the move-around-the-castle-and-recruit thing be disallowed? This tactic involves marginal if any skill, is kinda tedious to do well, and is a kinda "you-know-it-or-you-don't" kind of thing that may simply not have occurred to some players. Some rules that could be implemented to stop use of this tactic:

- you can only recruit or recall if your leader hasn't moved; or,
- recruiting or recalling ends your leader's turn immediately; or,
- recruiting and recalling can be done anytime (1) the leader is inside his or her castle, and there are vacant castle tiles available (but they don't have to be adjacent to the leader).

In a similiar vein, there is a 'feature' which might be considered a bug, that if you move Konrad next to an enemy leader's castle, he can recruit or recall units there. I am intending to change this at some point.
fmunoz wrote: The idea of tweaking the recruiting doenst appeal to me because the recruit optimization is only usefull the 1st two or three turns after that your gold usually desnt allow you to recruit/recall too many troops.
Maybe somebdy should post some screenshots with that tactic and post it in the Strategies & Tips forum
Dave wrote: Yes the tactic is only useful for the first few turns, and can be reduced in effectiveness simply by not giving people very big castles, but nevertheless I do find it slightly disturbing.
miyo wrote: How about making leaders healing at 1/2 or even 1/3 speed.
miyo

Post by miyo »

My few cents (EU) for this:

Recruiting and recalling can be done when leader is inside his or her castle, and there are vacant castle tiles available (but they don't have to be adjacent to the leader). After recruit/recall leader can not move anymore (as units can not move after attacking). After this change there is no need to make AI recruit optimized (except when enemy has invaded the castle in which case leader should look if it can move away and recruit units between himself/herself and the enemy.

It would be nice if you could select tile where to recruit/recall - so you don't have to optimize your recruit/recall order *grin*

Recruiting/recalling in enemy leader's castle: it should be possible when enemy leader is defeated or has left his/her castle. If leader is alive and in the castle you should not be able to use the castle for recall/recruit.

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: Approaching the enemy leader is meant to be kinda scary, because they are generally rather powerful, but it's not so scary when you know they're not going to attack you.
I think fearsome trait would help with this (discussed in Courage/Fear/Morale-thread).

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay, here's my proposal, which is kinda built on miyo's:

- add a new terrain type called a 'keep', which is like a super-castle-village. Each leader starts on their keep.
- players may only recruit if their leader is on a keep, and there are vacant castle tiles that are part of the same castle as the keep.
- at the moment, sides get an income of 2 gold per turn without any villages. Scrap this, and make it that keeps give an income of 2 gold per turn. Keeps can be captured by enemies.

Some points which I'm still kinda mulling over:

- should keeps be able to offer healing?
- should the leader end his turn when he recruits?

Oh, and, fmunoz, don't you ever feel your blood pressure rise a little bit when you hear of yet more features which require graphics? ;-)

David
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

Keep sounds impressive.
Should keeps be able to offer healing?
If keeps not offer healing, maybe a greater defense against attacks.
Should the leader end his turn when he recruits?
Another idea... each recruiting could cost some moves to the leader. For example, 1 or 2 moves for each recruit.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Dave wrote: Oh, and, fmunoz, don't you ever feel your blood pressure rise a little bit when you hear of yet more features which require graphics? ;-)

David
Not really, graphics will be done when they will be done :-)
So if a lots of features requires new graphics and I have more interesting things to do that graphics will be delayed.. (unless I have a sudden idea of how I should do them)
Think about the villages graphics .... I tried various designs but none looked good to me so no new villages ...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

fmunoz wrote: Think about the villages graphics .... I tried various designs but none looked good to me so no new villages ...
Surely some of your designs must look better than the current villages though right? The current villages look pretty pathetic! I am desperately waiting for someone to replace them with something that looks good!

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: - should keeps be able to offer healing?
- should the leader end his turn when he recruits?
If leaders are given this 1/2 or 1/3 healing speed, keeps can offer healing. I think it would be good idea that when leader starts recruiting he can not move or attack anymore (therefore ending turn for him?).

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Maybe enemy units should not disappear when their leader dies. Enemy leader dies = recruiting dies.

If scenario goal is to kill enemy leader the scenario is anyway finished when the enemy leader is killed.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yeah that's a reasonable idea, Miyo. Killing the enemy leader would still be valuable, but it wouldn't be so crushing. Anyone have any objections?

David
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Units without leader should have an attack and damage penalty, like 75%-50% damage and -10% or -20% to hit?
So a surgery stike to behead a side will have a mesurable effect in the game.
but keep the condition If all enemy leaders are killed the level should end
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

How about if I make the AI much dumber once the leader is dead? No more co-ordination of attacks between different enemies or such.

So what should happen to a human player in multiplayer if their leader is killed?

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Leader is dead = no recruits. You can not get any new units.

Gold becomes useless, you can not get new units, etc... I think that is enough.

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

fmunoz wrote:Units without leader should have an attack and damage penalty, like 75%-50% damage and -10% or -20% to hit?
So a surgery stike to behead a side will have a mesurable effect in the game.
but keep the condition If all enemy leaders are killed the level should end
When you fight for your life dead leader might not mean so much. How do they get the news that their leader is dead? How do rumors spread? Instantly?

Should penalties (for dead leader) apply only when attacking? When you are defending there are no penalties (you are fighting for your life). For the penalty I would suggest -1 to number of strikes.

If Courage/Fear/Morale would be implemented... loss of leader could make troops panic more easily after the rumors reach them.

Killing all enemy leaders should not end scenario where your task is to wipe all enemy units.

- Miyo
zas

Courage/Feel/Morale

Post by zas »

Courage/Feel/Morale will render leaders influence. What about a simple moral score, 0-100 ?
0 is total panic
100 is absolute courage
50 is normal state.

For each enemy death add +1 to it,
For each ally death add -1 to it,
for each new village add +1 to it,
for each lost village add -1 to it,
for each unit over level 3 add +1
for each leader death, add -20

It will impact aggressivity score of units...