Myr-Line Outcasts Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ashmyr

Myr-Line Outcasts Faction

Post by Ashmyr »

Hello. I play Wesnoth on a very modded version of the Wesnoth Core, which I call "Myrline" (hah, get it? Myr + Mainline?). About 63% of the canon units are unmodded, although I have added several of my own units.

Lately, I have been trying to develop the "Outcast" faction of Myrline units. I have added several advancements, and have tried to make this similar to the Rebels -- terrible in conventional upfront combat, but with a mix of abilities and clever tactics. While I do not plan to make Myrline public ever (or at least, quite yet), this recruit list may be used in a campaign someday, and I just generally want to see if it is balanced.

Overall, the recruit list is: Thug, Poacher, Footpad, Thief, Rogue Mage, Young Ogre, Wolf, and Merman Brawler. I will summarize the utiltiy of each unit, and the changes I made to them below.

*Also, please note, I am not a sprite artist and thus I often use the first attack frame of a similar unit of the same level (like for the Quartermaster, its base frame is the Bandit's first attack frame), except for the Blademaster, in which I use the 1.12 Rogue portrait.

The Thug

The Thug is mostly unchanged. He serves as the faction's basic melee unit. While he does not deal too much damage, he is much more powerful at night, and I believe his advancements strongly make up for any weakness in his level 1 version.

He also has been given an extra advancement:
The Quartermaster: (HP:56, XP:100, Moves:4, Impact 9-3 Melee (Slows), {ABILITY_LEADERSHIP}
The Quartermaster is a tough unit which I believe is rather unique. He has more health, deals more damage, and has both Leadership and Slows, but compared to his Bandit counterpart, overall, he deals less damage, is slower, and does not advance. This is meant to serve the purpose of "sturdy tough unit" and the purpose of "leadership unit".

The Poacher

The Poacher is changed quite a bit. He is meant to be the faction's basic ranged unit. Where he lacks in sturdiness and damage, he makes up for in deception and other tactics. His forest movement has been changed to 1, his forest defense has been buffed to 60%, he has been given Backstab, and I am considering giving him a 5-1 impact slows ranged net attack. While he is not conventionally strong, I believe these changes will make him a mobile and useful unit.

His Ranger advancement has also been given the *Ambush* ability.

The Footpad

The Footpad is mostly unchanged. They are meant to be the faction's weak mixed unit, but their levelups are quite strong. While I have not changed their stats, I have added a ranged-focused advancement line:
The Slinger: (HP:38, XP:70, Moves:6, Impact 9-1 Melee, Impact 7-4 Ranged)

The Slinger is supposed to be a ranged-focused unit with a weak melee and lower health, but useful against Undead and in ranged damage. They are also slower than their Outlaw counterpart, and generally less of a reliable frontline unit.
The Slingmaster: (HP:54, XP:150, Moves:6, Impact 12-1 Melee, Impact 8-5 Ranged, {WEAPON_SPECIAL_MARKSMAN})

The Slingmaster has Marksman to contrast with the Fugitive's *Concealment*, but I am not sure if this is the best choice.

The Thief
The Thief is mostly unchanged. I greatly enjoy this unit and love how it gets much better with each level. The only change I have made is the addition of a new line: the Blademaster.

The Blademaster: (HP:44, XP:100, Moves:5, Blade 8-2 Melee {WEAPON_SPECIAL_BACKSTAB}, Blade 5-5 Ranged)

The Blademaster is supposed to be an interesting ranged-focused advancement of the Thief. I think it may be interesting to add an 8-2 poison blade ranged attack, but I am not sure.

The Rogue Mage
The faction needs a good counter against Drakes, and a unit to hit entrenched units. I believe the Rogue Mage line from Liberty suits both purposes very well, although I still believe the faction is very unbalanced against Drakes, and even with the Poacher and Rogue Mage, would get torn up.

The Young Ogre
Almost every faction has a unit that can take a lot of hits and has good resistances, but poor relative attack, such as the Troll, the Wose, and the Heavy Infantryman. I believe the Young Ogre is a good choice for the Outcasts. While he is expensive, and his attack is weak, he can stack up a considerable amount of damage.

The Wolf
I believe it is an interesting idea for a faction of men who live in the wilds to tame wild beasts. The Wolf exels at this, and I believe its promotion line to Direwolf is fairly balanced. While the Wolf does not have a strong attack, he has excellent mobility, and he has no severe weaknesses.

The Merman Brawler
The Outcasts faction has a feel of "playing dirty", and "rough and tough". While the Brawler is an odd choice, I believe he fits both of these well. His *Stun* ability may be unbalanced, but I believe that he is a good choice for this faction's aquatic unit.

Any suggestions on balance would be greatly appreciated. I know that some people have suggested additions such as Falcons or Bats instead of the Brawler, and I want to clarify that I am open for any suggestions if you make a good case.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Myr-Line Outcasts Faction

Post by Atreides »

Ashmyr wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 9:07 am While I do not plan to make Myrline public ever (or at least, quite yet), this recruit list may be used in a campaign someday, and I just generally want to see if it is balanced.
Oh go on, you know you wanna. : )
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Atreides wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 6:42 pm Oh go on, you know you wanna. : )
the Myrline Dwarves are in DK, with an exception of one line.

I don't wanna make it public because it's huge with a ton of units and it's probably unbalanced, which is why I'm asking for suggestions here.

Though maybe someday. ;)
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

You know... they're all unbalanced. Even mainline. : ) The only balance would be to make everything identical. ; )
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Atreides wrote: July 24th, 2023, 3:31 pm You know... they're all unbalanced. Even mainline. : ) The only balance would be to make everything identical. ; )
Maybe, but I do want to make it as balanced as I can before public release.
Novice campaign creator.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Ashmyr wrote: July 24th, 2023, 8:16 pm
Atreides wrote: July 24th, 2023, 3:31 pm You know... they're all unbalanced. Even mainline. : ) The only balance would be to make everything identical. ; )
Maybe, but I do want to make it as balanced as I can before public release.
Totally agree with that. I always try hard to balance eras. As a perfectionist I guess I always keep in mind that there are limits to how balanced one can get.