wesnoth rpg

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
ChrundleTheGreat

wesnoth rpg

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

ok, so i dont know if this is gonna sound appealing to anyone :hmm: , and i dont even know if it belongs to this forum, but i recently got into that whole d&d style of game, where you think of a character and imagine what they would do in a fictional world (its more complicated that this but im assuming most of you are at least somewhat familiar with the concept), i downloaded "dnd beyond" ive been reading through the rules and building characters and i keep wanting for there to be a tBfW version of this, i notice that the vocabulary can be sort of similar sometimes, even leading me to believe that wesnoth was somewhat inspired by d&d, an example that comes to mind is the alingments lawful, chaotic and neutral, but i have found more similarities before (some more about the logic of the game). i think taking the gameplay and rules of d&d and writing in the races, locations and general lore of wesnoth could be really fun (and hopefully not that hard), and it migth just be my social circles but im lead to believe that d&d is kind of booming rigth now, at least on youtube i see a lot of people playing the game and getting a big enough audience to make straming shows of their campaigns. i think if we had a tabletop rpg channels like "critical role" or "dimension 20" could be interested in playing it, and a manual could be sold creating revenue for tBfW.
so i guess the pitch is to anyone who is also interested on the proyect, i thought the writters forum could be a good start, given that we would have to organize and complement all the existing lore of the game. also we would need game design skills, deciding wich traits make sense for each race and wich classes to make avialabe and how they work, as well as balancing other aspects of the game.
its kind of compicated but we can use other RPGs as a blueprint.
i hope other people are interested on this too, it could be a lot of fun and attract more people to the game. :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: wesnoth rpg

Post by Pentarctagon »

Though it's not D&D, there's https://diceystories.com/ you could take a look at.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ChrundleTheGreat

:D yeah, i meant something like this, although i was thinking just to make the rules races and classes for people to make their own campaign.
thanks, i think ill try to contact them, see if theyre interested on making something like that. :geek:
ChrundleTheGreat

although i think more people could be needed, if anybody is interested please let me know...
(i think this could turn into a thread in the "forum games" forum or the discord server if we could developh this proyect)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Around the start of this year, there was a big argument about licensing, because the owners of D&D were trying to retroactively change the license of older versions of D&D, affecting the rights to add-ons or campaigns written using that old license. There's a few alternative systems similar to D&D, so personally I'd avoid choosing the one that has its licensing controlled by WOTC.

(While I have an official role in Wesnoth, this is written only in a personal capacity and this is just my personal opinion.)
ChrundleTheGreat

hi everyone!! :)
a quick update, i've spent sometime away of wesnoth recently, but now i started to think more about this project and figured out a clearer vision of what i want, along with a way to achieve it (that hopefully works).
vision
I personally really like this world, i grew up playing this game, and have always fantasized of having my own adventures on it. my intention is for fans of the battle for wesnoth to come together and share adventures taking place in the world/universe of the battle for wesnoth, playing flexible campaigns where their dream characters come to life and make their own decisions.

first of all this (wesnoth rpg) is meant to be different from both dnd and wesnoth, while keeping in touch with the elements of both games that i find would complement each other to make a good (truly wesnothian) experience.
here are a few of tbfw's elements i intend to preserve:
(these elements are at the same time distinct from the norm in dnd)
  • first thing that comes to mind is how the game handles power, i mean how powerful a unit can ever get, I've always liked how tbfw keeps things relatively realistic (at least in mainline), so in wesnoth rpg i would like for the limit on how powerful a unit gets, to be within the bounds of reason.
  • one of my favorite things about tbfw has always been the fact that all creatures fall into the same category (units), i'd really like to do this in wesnoth rpg too and i believe it could make for interesting campaigns where players use a wide variety of different races for their characters.
  • i also intend for the players and campaigns to be able to focus (and i assume they mostly would) on the aspect of military strategy that tbfw is known for, with the added mechanics of social skills, which affect what would be refereed to in tbfw as the recruitment process, but more on that later...
  • i remember a while back i read on this website something like "while other games strive for complexity, wesnoth strives for simplicity" and i believe im trying to achieve something similar here, i have the intention to keep things simple and allow for most of the complexity to take place in the players imagination.
implementation
please know im not an expert game designer, and i would be greatfull to receive input on the ideas presented bellow:
a basic overview
here i will quickly explain how i see the game working, without getting to much into the weeds of the mechanics:

character management/creation

races:
the first thing to do is to select a race.
there are many races and they each have two things that make them distinct:
  • abilities: they are like "skills" (which will be explored soon) but the appear since lvl 0. (e.g. fire-breathing for drakes, proficiency with bows for elves, etc)
  • stats: they are the main atributes of a character and once you create your character they cannot be changed. they are
    • Intelligence: Determines skill points gained when leveling up.
    • Strength: Affects attack damage.
    • Stamina: Determines hit points.
    • Dexterity: Influences accuracy in combat.
    • walking, swimming and flying speed, determines how fast a character can traverse different regions.
    (stats can do more things but those are their main functions)
for the stats, every race comes with a range which determines which is the maximum and minimum value that a character of that race can have. for instance a saurian cannot compete with a troll with brute strength, but different saurians can vary in strength.
also dwarves are generally bad at swimming, so their range goes from "cant swim" to "not a very good swimmer" while a human's range its much wider; from "cant swim" to "very good at swimming". (the range for humans is wide in all stats, being the most flexible race)
so there are 7 stats a character can have, and by selecting a race you limit the amount of points you can use in each stat.
the second thing is you allocate your stat points into the stats of your choice, as allowed by your race.

skills:
next thing would be to specify a type of skill your character has a natural proclivity to learn,
the skill point cost for the selected skill type, will then be reduced for this character, allowing them to advance faster in an "area" of their choice.
(note that while just like with the initial stats, the player benefits from not only focusing on a single aspect, and could grow by implementing skills from different types, the skill type proclivity can behave in a similar way to the class system in dnd, allowing a character to specialize in a style of gameplay)
there are 3 types of skills:
  • magical: as the name suggest these skills are about all things magic, all creatures have an untapped potential to use magic, either by appealing to the world of the magical spirits of old, or by channeling their own magic through the use of crystals (crystals can be charged with magical power like a battery can be charged with electric power, this can allow magic users to always have the ability to focus a lot of energy on spells, most magical spirits have their own large pools of magic, and some spirit's power resides within crystalline structures like the gem in the scepter of fire).
    there are several schools of magic, depending on the source of the power that is being used, and before being able to "purchase" skills in the field of magic, your character must be studying under one of these schools, however your character COULD have the proclivity to learn magic regardless of whether they're studying magic or not.(the different schools of magic have different stat requirements for studying them).
  • personal:these are all the skills that involve basically all aspects of personal development ranging from weapon mastery, to crafting, to special bonuses in certain regions.
    this is a good time to mention that all skills come organized in skill trees so they will be compiled into subcategories of the main skill categories (magical, personal, interpersonal), for example personal subcategories would be "sword skills", survival skills, crafting skills, etc.
  • interpersonal:this type has three main subcategories, which are:
    • negotiation and social manipulation.(takes care of things like diplomacy, intimidation and persuasion).
    • leadership.(for all things related to managing a group of characters).
    • animal handling(not the official name but it includes things like taming, befriending, and handling characters of races classified as "animals").

each time your character levels up you will earn skill points, which can be spent on skills.
skills are the features a character has in the game, they make up everything from determining the possible actions a character can perform, to bonus to in-game probability calculations for said actions.

if we were to compare it to a model like dnd, focusing on any specific skill type would represent progressing in either of 3 main classes:
  • mage(or mage-ish): most skills are very expensive so slow progress is often made, however once you advance to higher levels you'd become quite powerful.
  • fighter(or simply a character that is competent on a specific field on his own) you gradually either gain mastery over a skill of your choice, or become a sort of "jack of all trades" and have an extensive toolkit of skills useful in many circumstances.
  • leader: you take command over a small group or army, which you acquire by persuading people to join your cause, maintaining diplomatic relations with powerful people or being a powerful individual yourself, the possibilities are endless...
however, the game offers more than these three "classes", given the fact that a player can purchase skills from any category (and subcategory), one can truly assemble any character imaginable.

players then specify their characters background and place in the world, which would be like their unit type in wesnoth, (royal guard, bandit, paladin, great mage, etc), which is meant to make sense according to their current skills without actually having a direct effect on game play.
(as of now im thinking that a level 20 character is meant to be as powerful as a level 5 unit, be it with skill not related to combat, like crafting or diplomacy).

characters also come with data regarding their relationships, organized as five lists:
  • enemy: your at war with this characters. they will fight you when posible.
  • unfriendly: this characters will not seek to attack you, but they are not friendly to you and will attack you if you get close.
  • friendly: you have good relations with this characters, they might help in basic ways.
  • allays: this characters will actively support your endeavors, they will even fight for you and your cause.
  • followers: these characters are not only allays but are directly under your command, and will obey your every order fighting by your side. (there could be a sixth category called loyal follower).
some specific things
(im still working this out, so suggestions are appreciated)
so i think the stats should work like this :

Intelligence: Determines the number of skill points gained per level.
Strength: Affects attack damage.(Strength / 10) + weapon damage.
Stamina: Determines hit points.
Dexterity: Influences attack accuracy and evasion. (Attacker's Dexterity * 2) - (Target's Dexterity) = Hit Chance Modifier.
Speed: speed/ 6 (rounded up). (for all speeds)

"stat" points in general range from 0 to 50, although each race narrows down this range...

ok so i really wanted to add more, but im going a liitle insane writing all of this ( and im tired):doh:
so i will continue posting specific ideas on this thread...
a wild pitch
i also have sort of a "wild" idea for the project, basically im thinking there could be a way to play this rpg directly using the wesnoth engine, first by modifying the multiplayer lobby to host ttrpg campaigns, im thinking there would be a game-master hosting in control of the server. there would be all the information stored about all the characters (ai or players), and a chat log (or several) to handle the interactions.
then the game master would then create scenarios for players to join into, and play encounters with them.
this would also require a new rpg era that handles units with the logic from the wesnoth rpg...
i know this is a lot of work and changes (im not even sure its even posible) but i think it would be cool to have a multiplayer game of the battle for wesnoth where you make choices, have a unique character, and the game remembers your character across many sesions, kind of like a tournament where you can continue the story from your last match, and long term plan your relations with other players, forming alliances and rivalships whith ai and players alike, (it would also be a lot of work for the GM)...
something similar was made by papa smurff reloaded once but im thinking of handling units (characters) a little different and making the campaign spam over many scenarios...
i hope this makes sense and people can be interested on the idea, again i would REALLY apreciate imput and sugestions on any of this...
take care.
--chrundle
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

That starts off sounding a lot like Trader: Strange Legacy, when played in RPG mode. I don't think it's what you are looking to do, but it's certainly worth looking at:

viewtopic.php?t=35400
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
ChrundleTheGreat

white_haired_uncle wrote: Yesterday, 1:17 am That starts off sounding a lot like Trader: Strange Legacy, when played in RPG mode...
yes! i acctually have played the campaign, and i like it! :D , but as you said this is a bit of a diferent idea, i'll ask heindal for design advice though... although im really asking all of you for that anyway...

the idea of my proyect its that it could be played online or as a table top game.
i would really like to have a functional virtual character sheet soon, (dnd-beyond style) but i would have to define all of the skills, items, and balance all the races first (plus the programing)...
then we could hopefully play on discord or the forums :mrgreen: :geek: .

the "wild pitch" secction its not nescesarily something i think will get done, but it would be great to have a "multiplayer strange legacy" of sorts, (again not the exact same but a wesnothian rpg).

thanks!
DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

Damn lol, I was working on a project like this (though its now on hold). Basically, the player would select a race and then a class (which would just be a unit from that race). If you would like to help me with it, you can contact me through PM because from what I've read our ideas are similar :D
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts - William Shakespeare
viewtopic.php?p=689462#p689462 Gaze at my art :D
ChrundleTheGreat

DuncanDill wrote: Yesterday, 6:10 am Damn lol, I was working on a project like this (though its now on hold). Basically, the player would select a race and then a class (which would just be a unit from that race). If you would like to help me with it, you can contact me through PM because from what I've read our ideas are similar :D
It seems similar to the “wild pitch”, but im not sure i explained the general idea properly…

My intention is making a ttrpg like dungeons and dragons but with different (more wesnothian) mechanics, something we could play on discord or the forums, then to make a platform to play the scenarios from the ttrpg campaign in the wesnoth engine, and store each characters data so they can play again with their same characters.
DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

ChrundleTheGreat wrote: Yesterday, 6:19 pm
DuncanDill wrote: Yesterday, 6:10 am Damn lol, I was working on a project like this (though its now on hold). Basically, the player would select a race and then a class (which would just be a unit from that race). If you would like to help me with it, you can contact me through PM because from what I've read our ideas are similar :D
It seems similar to the “wild pitch”, but im not sure i explained the general idea properly…

My intention is making a ttrpg like dungeons and dragons but with different (more wesnothian) mechanics, something we could play on discord or the forums, then to make a platform to play the scenarios from the ttrpg campaign in the wesnoth engine, and store each characters data so they can play again with their same characters.
Ah I see now! I'd be happy to help with something like that, or play :D
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts - William Shakespeare
viewtopic.php?p=689462#p689462 Gaze at my art :D