Asheviere's Dogs - 1.18 campaign!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mechanical

Re: Asheviere's Dogs - 1.18 campaign!

Post by Mechanical »

holypaladin wrote: May 1st, 2024, 6:58 pm I prepared portait for Sir Kellan

And Sir Gwido

I think they look nice, hope you will like them
Thank you so much! I really liked them. The only problem I had with them was that they weren't on a transparent background, so I had to remove the background manually. Here's what they look like in the game. I'm thinking about incorporating them into the campaign.

Again, thank you so much for your contribution!
Attachments
image.png
image.png
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

GreenScarab wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 11:43 am Hi, I'm just stopping by to give my first impressions after finishing your latest campaign :D

Things I liked

Spoiler:

Bug?

Spoiler:

I think your style is quite unique and very enjoyable. Act I, the Asheviere's Dogs is definitely very good and sets the bar high for future plot progression.

So far, out of your work, I enjoyed In Hearth of Durn-Turum the most, but I think Asheviere's Dogs is on par, and if the planned future Acts will be as good as the first part then, it will be my favorite of the campaigns by you.

So... I wait for the Act II.
Thank you so much for the review! Your detailed analysis shows that you've immersed yourself in the campaign, which is very encouraging.

About the bug - first of all, burning a warehouse shouldn't give you 40 gold, only take it from the enemy; I'll have to check the description of the note. Second, in my playthroughs it was still useful because the furthest enemy rebel has quite a few villages, and his income allowed him to gain units throughout the mission.

About Asheviere - I'm glad you liked my vision of this character. I was planning to reveal her more in acts 2 and 3. I'm also working on a new mission for Act 1:

It's a mission about the battle between Asheviere's army and the rebels, which I mention in passing in the story. The player plays as Asheviere and his goal is to inflict defeats on Richard, Gray, and Aran's army to weaken them in the final battle. I try to reveal the relationship between Asheviere, the lords and the late Garard more powerfully in this battle.

As for General Henry - I didn't expect anyone to pay attention to this character. You've asked some interesting questions. One of the reasons people fight for Asheviere is stability. If you recognize Asheviere, the bloodshed is limited to that skirmish in the war and the palace circle; if you fight against Asheviere (like the rebels) - Wesnoth gets choked with blood and more people get hurt. I tried to partially express this narrative in Isolde.

I'm not sure that after Wesnoth recovers from the ashes of the civil war and becomes a strong state again (by the end of Asheviere's reign), Henry would want to get involved in a new turmoil and start a new massacre between humans to support Konrad.
However, by then he may be in the remnant or die of old age. The events of AD, however, unfold 16 years before the events of HTTT.

Although in Acts 2 and 3 I planned to cover a few more years, up until Asheviere gains full control of Wesnoth. I also wanted to cover the beginning of the HTTT (like attacking Ettenwood or something), but that campaign is being redone now, I don't know what will end up there, and so I'll try not to make strong connections to it.
My art thread
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Mechanical wrote: May 4th, 2024, 3:38 am About the bug - first of all, burning a warehouse shouldn't give you 40 gold, only take it from the enemy; I'll have to check the description of the note. Second, in my playthroughs it was still useful because the furthest enemy rebel has quite a few villages, and his income allowed him to gain units throughout the mission.
It looks like I must have misunderstood the intent.

Mechanical wrote: May 4th, 2024, 3:38 am About Asheviere - I'm glad you liked my vision of this character. I was planning to reveal her more in acts 2 and 3. I'm also working on a new mission for Act 1:

It's a mission about the battle between Asheviere's army and the rebels, which I mention in passing in the story. The player plays as Asheviere and his goal is to inflict defeats on Richard, Gray, and Aran's army to weaken them in the final battle. I try to reveal the relationship between Asheviere, the lords and the late Garard more powerfully in this battle.
It sounds promising. I will look forward to it. :D

Mechanical wrote: May 4th, 2024, 3:38 am As for General Henry - I didn't expect anyone to pay attention to this character. You've asked some interesting questions. One of the reasons people fight for Asheviere is stability. If you recognize Asheviere, the bloodshed is limited to that skirmish in the war and the palace circle; if you fight against Asheviere (like the rebels) - Wesnoth gets choked with blood and more people get hurt. I tried to partially express this narrative in Isolde.
Mechanical wrote: May 4th, 2024, 3:38 am I'm not sure that after Wesnoth recovers from the ashes of the civil war and becomes a strong state again (by the end of Asheviere's reign), Henry would want to get involved in a new turmoil and start a new massacre between humans to support Konrad.
However, by then he may be in the remnant or die of old age. The events of AD, however, unfold 16 years before the events of HTTT.
In the end General Henri probably wanted to stop the slaughter of innocent people, that's why he joined Asheviere. I think, the most horrible thing about the Wesnoth civil war is that it is simply the ordinary folks who suffer the most. The Liberty campaign shows that pretty good.

I don't know how old General Henri is, but if he is still actively participating in the battles I suspect he might be something between 50 and 60, so during the HttT action he could theoretically still be alive, but.... yes, he would be quite old by then. And yes I think he is an intriguing character. Giving him some time in the plot in future Acts could be an interesting idea, especially since players have already met him in the first part.
AUTHOR OF:
DREAM IN THE SAND | BORN TO LIVE | HORN OF FAITH | RUSTLING IN THE WIND | WAVES OF DISTANT SHORE

The campaigns are available for download on the 1.18 Wesnoth add-ons server.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Mechanical wrote: May 4th, 2024, 3:24 am
holypaladin wrote: May 1st, 2024, 6:58 pm I prepared portait for Sir Kellan

And Sir Gwido

I think they look nice, hope you will like them
Thank you so much! I really liked them. The only problem I had with them was that they weren't on a transparent background, so I had to remove the background manually. Here's what they look like in the game. I'm thinking about incorporating them into the campaign.

Unfortunately, those are AI generated, and current policy doesn't allow that. Our stance on generative AI probably will change as the technology and laws evolve, but I don't see wholly AI produced images as ever being permitted here.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Our stance on generative AI probably will change as the technology and laws evolve, but I don't see wholly AI produced images as ever being permitted here.
How about ai images after editions or retouching? Problem that many creators have is lack of artists, most of talented ones that once were creating portaits are now unactive for years :(
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

You're welcome, I am very happy You liked my images, I specially thought to make them suit the character (so for example Sir Gwido got green clothes which was to mean he was raised by elves similiar as Konrad's outfit from HTtT)

I would be glad to help more, let's say in translating sentences to Polish
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

holypaladin wrote: May 4th, 2024, 1:03 pm
You're welcome, I am very happy You liked my images, I specially thought to make them suit the character (so for example Sir Gwido got green clothes which was to mean he was raised by elves similiar as Konrad's outfit from HTtT)

I would be glad to help more, let's say in translating sentences to Polish
Your enthusiasm inspires me. I would be very happy if you could translate the campaign into Polish. I don't know Polish at all myself, but I can help you if you have any questions. I can also prepare .po and .pot files for you if you want to do it.

Of course, I will add you to the credits for your contribution. :)
My art thread
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I can also prepare .po and .pot files for you if you want to do it.
Sure, I will be thankful beacuse I cannot do it myself, when I will be more free I am going to start sending translated sentences for part 1. I think I will start with translation of units describtions, then start working on story and dialogues.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Hi, thanks for the campaign, I just finished it.

At the end I got the achievement "Kill the baron by ranged pierce or blade attacks".
But I think that's a mistake – while my orcish slayer did throw his poisoned blades, he didn't hit, and the baron was killed by an allied red mage.

Adding the replay, in case that helps debugging it.
Attachments
AD-A Fateful Battle replay 20240518-171554.gz
(99.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
achievement-killed-by.png